Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake Fluid Bad?

Atticus

Does this stuff go bad?I have a 72 with low original miles.I've neglected it to storage for about 3 years and am having some issues.Atm i'm looking at brakes.Pedal seems to go almost to floor.Very weak.I found low fluid in back master cylinder resevoir and topped it up.Didn't really help.I've watched floor and have no leaks and still full.
When i addded fluid,i noticed the fluid was really cloudy.I know the brakes have only been changed 2 times since the car was new and all pads and rotors look like new.

Hi, yes brake fluid goes bad, it absorbs moisture, which causes rust which destroys the seals. Try to bleed the brakes and see if that helps. There is one bleeder screw on each front wheel and two on each rear wheel. PG

Atticus, as petes74ttop said, brake fluid absorbs water. It's exceptionally "hygroscopic". That's why you should never use unused brakefluid that's been sitting on your shelf in a bottle that was already opened long ago.

It can also be 'cooked'. Excessive braking will heat up the fluid. Once the fluid has been heated beyond a certain point, it starts to deteriorate and will have less functionality.

Check out this thread for the proper way to bleed the brakes on a C3.
And do some reading and research since it sounds like you are going to be replacing your brake fluid. I think I have Wagner fluid in my system. But for some reason I seem to recall hearing that Ford "Blue #3" or something like that was the best fluid for our cars. I don't recall exactly. Do some further research in and around the CAC. You'll find plenty of info on brakes, replacement, systems for helping you bleed the brakes on your own, etc etc etc.
:beer

Thanks for the assist,think i'll go buy some fresh new fluid and give it a shot

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom