Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Brake Grinding

WillC4

Corvette
'94 LT1 Green Coupe. 6-spd. All Bolt-ons.
Well, i am well aware that i need to replace my rear rotors/pads. And i have the cringing metal on metal noise that goes with it (noticed yesterday, June 2). So i have just recently ordered 4 new rotors and accompanying pads. Now im in a bit of a dilemma, i was originally planning to drive about 100 miles (round trip) to get my new exhaust installed before the new rotors/brakes can even arrive. Can i do this safely? I could care less if the rotors go to hell, they already got there. What im concerned is will it affect/damage the key components of the braking system? IE... Damaging my Caliper or other components? Or can i make that trip without too much to worry about?

Metal to metal can stop well, but who knows what could happen. Do you like your Corvette? Its not worth it, it is unsafe and not legal.

I wouldn't chance a panic stop with brakes in that condition. I't not worth it.

Because there's no easy way to hear that sound on the CAC, I'll say that what you are hearing, if it's more than a screeching noise than a grinding noise, is probably the wear indicators on the brake pads scrapping on the rotors. When you hear that, it means your brake pads are just about gone.

As long as you are not abusive driver with respect to braking and the noise is the wear indicators and NOT metal-to-metal contact between the rotors and the brake pad backing plates, I'd say that if you can live with the screeching noise, you're might be safe for that 100 mile trip.

The only way to know for sure?

Pull all four wheels and visually verify that the noise is the wear indicators and not the rotor backing plates metal-to-metal on the rotors.

Well, i am well aware that i need to replace my rear rotors/pads. And i have the cringing metal on metal noise that goes with it (noticed yesterday, June 2). So i have just recently ordered 4 new rotors and accompanying pads. Now im in a bit of a dilemma, i was originally planning to drive about 100 miles (round trip) to get my new exhaust installed before the new rotors/brakes can even arrive. Can i do this safely? I could care less if the rotors go to hell, they already got there. What im concerned is will it affect/damage the key components of the braking system? IE... Damaging my Caliper or other components? Or can i make that trip without too much to worry about?

If it is a high pitched squealing noise from a pad indicator you will be fine. If it is a grinding metal to metal noise, do not drive it and repair it immediately.

Well, guess I dont want to risk it. The new rotors and pads have shipped, just need to wait for them to get here. To make note, it is the driver side rear wheel that is grinding. Wanting the shipment will arrive either on schedule, or preferably before ETA. Decided to postpone the exhaust install a week. Appreciate the suggestions from everyone here.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom