Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake Light came on (not tail lights)

Thanks, next time I will probably go that route. Would be easier.

I heard back from the local vendor and got everything straight. Gave him all measurements so that he could properly get me the right Spicer Joints. I should get the new Spicer Joints today. In fact the guy told me that these were only $17.90 each rather than the others being $22.60. So there will be a credit to my account! The confusion was that he thought 1981 only had one type of Joint like the '82s. Well, she ought to be back together by tommorrow, I am having a local corvette restore shop press the old/new joints out of/into the half shaft. Man, I really don't like having my car 4 pointed in my garage this long. It just ain't natural ya'll!

Just the opposite happened to me doing the u-joints on my 4spd '80. I was given six of the "smaller" automatic u-joints. Went back to the Corvette shop where I bought them and was told "no Corvette ever came with two different size u-joints":duh So much for Corvette "experts":( I believe the gymkhana suspension option cars of '81 & '82 MAY have also come with the larger half-shaft u-joints.

Paul,

My 81 has smaller U-Joints on the propeller shaft than on the two half shafts ;) (it's a 4-speed)

Bud

My 79 auto., gymkhana susp., also has smaller u-joints on the propeller shaft than the half shafts.
The corvette mechanics up here ( Canada ) recommended greasable u-joints. Used TRW heavy duty from NAPA (there house brand is made by TRW). I see alot of people here prefer the solid or non-greasable type.
john

Brake system contamination.

Brake system contamination

The single most common brake system failure caused by a contaminant is swelling of the rubber components (piston seals etc.) due to the introduction of petroleum based products (motor oil, power steering fluid, mineral oil etc.) A small amount is enough to do major damage. Flushing with mineral spirits is enough to cause a complete system failure in a short time. I suspect this is what has happened when some BMW owners changed to DOT 5 (and then assumed that silicone caused the problem). Flushing with alcohol also causes problems. BMW brake systems should be flushed only with DOT 3 or 4.

If silicone is introduced into an older brake system, the silicone will latch unto the sludge generated by gradual component deterioration and create a gelatin like goop which will attract more crud and eventually plug up metering orifices or cause pistons to stick. If you have already changed to DOT 5, don't compound your initial mistake and change back. Silicone is very tenacious stuff and you will never get it all out of your system. Just change the fluid regularly. For those who race using silicone fluid, I recommend that you crack the bleed screws before each racing session to insure that there is no water in the calipers.

http://www.xs11.com/tips/maintenance/maint1.shtml

I had the exact same problem and my guy at that time charged just as much.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom