Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

brake light problems

o2bnkc

Corvette
2024 Amplify Orange HTC
Well, I have been having brake light problems lately, and I thought there was a bad ground somewhere. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I finally realized it was in the turn signal. If the turn signal lever is in the right spot, they work, if I move it to the center where it is suppsed to sit, they won't. The turn signals work fine and the lever returns back to the middle like it's supposed to, but I have to move it a teeny bit for the brake lights to work. I just ordered a shop manual, but I thought I would ask the experts on here. Do I have to pull the steering wheel off to get to the switch? It looks like there's a panel on the steering column, but ...............?

Classic/chronic/common C1 problem; if the cancelling mechanism doesn't self-center accurately, you lose the brake light on that side. You need to pull the steering wheel, clean and lubricate all the moving parts in the mechanism so it moves freely and self-centers. When you re-install the wheel, make sure the index mark on the end of the steering shaft is at 12 o'clock, aligned with the matching index mark on the wheel hub, and the two roll pins on the back side of the hub are at 8 and 10 o'clock (as viewed from the driver's seat) or the cancelling mechanism won't work at all. :)

Thanks John. That's why I ask you guys first.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom