Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake lights not working

rebuild 68

I have '93 coupe and the brake lights do not work, the tail lights work fine. I changed the 2 switches and the brakes still don't light when the pedal is pressed. Anyone know what else could be wrong?

Geez, another post I let slip by unnoticed! :eek:

You say you changed switches. What switches? Have you checked your fuses? :confused

I think there is also a relay but not sure where it is.

Here are the two brake relays. #24 & #34. Under this pic is the decription: 1992-94 Traction Control and ABS System. Where this is on your car I don't have a clue. Perhaps behind one of the seats in a compartment. Maybe someone with a similar year can ring in on this and recognize where this is.

You are right about the the stop/haz fuse. The fuse keeps burning out every two weeks or so.I checked all the bulbs they look ok. Do you know what could keep blowing this fuse?

I don't know if this has been fixed or not, but I had the same problem on my '93.

I had to remove the switches that the brake pedal lever actuate, and I found some kind of conductive crud made the brake light stay on. Dremelled the crap out of it, works like a champ. :)

You say you replaced the switches? Try going to the switches again, but send + 12v to the brake-light side of the switch. Teh puropose is to eliminate the switch as the problem. If the brakes light up, then you have another bad switch. If it stays off, then leave the + wire connected, but look at other components down the line from the switch. I don't think it's a fuse if the 12v to the switch doesn't do anything.

As a last resort, run + 12v DIRECTLY to one of the brake light bulb + inputs. That will *definitely* light it up, unless the whole problem is a bad ground (or bad bulb, but not likely unless you burned ALL FOUR out, which I doubt).
-keith

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom