Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake lights/rear hazard & back-up lights don't work

Buckskin7T7V

Corvette
1977 Buckskin
I thought my air-conditioning problems were enough. No! On the way home, I was told that I had no brake lights. When I did get home, I found that I had no brake lights, no rear turn signal lights no back-up lights and no harzard lights. The rear lights only work with the head lights, or not at all. The side running lights work and all of the fuzes are ok. The front lights, (flashers, parking etc) work fine.
Help, I will never get to drive the vette again.:(

Buckskin, Check for a broken ground wire, probably near the antenna ground on the left (driver's) side above the muffler. That wire takes a lot of abuse from the road plus the heat of the muffler........Good luck.......Steve

I replaced the light bulbs and it worked for a couple of pumps and then they all blew out again. I have a short somewhere. Me and a Multimeter this week-end. Someday, I will "RIDE AGAIN":mad

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM BUT MYING WAS NOT BLOWING THE BULB WAS BLOWING THE FUSE. HAD ALL THE SAME SYMTOMS AS YOURS. I FOUND THE SHORT TO BE IN THE TURN SINGAL HAZZARD LIGHTS HARNESS DONT KNOW IF THE WIRES GOING THROUGH THE STERRING COLUMB OR THE SWITCH ASSEMBLY IT SELF BUT WHEN I UNPLUG IT STOP BLOWING THE FUSE. AFTER REPLACEMENT EVERTHING WORKED AS IT SOPPOSED TO. :)

I'm having some probs with my right brake light too. I was told from the former owner that it was about a $40 piece that attaches the turn signal lever in the sterring column. I've cleaned the contacts, replaced the bulbs and all the other lights work but that one dam brake light!

Ughhhhhh

Can anyone confirm the turn signal piece corrects the prob???

Tks,
Brian

IndyPaceCar78

If all your other light bulbs work normal, and the problem seems to be with just one light bulb ( brake light unique to one socket) my guess is it is a partial ground in that particular wire or circuit.

Check the bulb, make sure it is the correct # and makes proper contact in the socket. the two little solder numbs are aligned right when twisted into the socket.

If your signal light works on this side and your rear running light works, it is in the brake light circuit. The bulb is a dual element. With your head lights on one element illuminates, when the signal is used or the brakes are applied the other element illuminates. So, if the signals are operating normally, check the brake light wiring for that side.

Good Luck
BudD
:w

Thanks everyone. I will be checking these ideas this week-end. Please feel free to give me more ideas if anyone else thinks of something.
p.s. I understand it is better to check a circuit with an analog meter vs. a digital meter. Does anyone have any thoughts on this subject? I understand that the analog type reads resistance much better. If this is so, I have a digital and I need to pick-up and analog. :confused

Six to one....half a dozen to the other. either should work equally well for what you are trying to do.:s

Thanks Rare. The turn signals do work, the bulb is the correct one, (1157)and I've cleaned the contacts on both the bulb and socket. Soooo I guess I'll need to investigate the circuit for that brake light. Any suggestions where to begin looking? Also, both elements are ok in the new bulb too.

Thanks for your help! ; )
Brian

Brian,

Try to setup a systematic testing proceedure, and write down or check off the steps as you go, and write in ones you do that aren't on your list. This will actually save you time, and possible help others with the same problems somewhere down the road..

OK,
disconnect at the major plug near the back of the corvette and the socket. Start "ringing" out (checking for grounds) the brake light wire. Test is sections whenever possible all the way back to the brake switch under the dash on the brake leverage point.

My guess it the short is either from the socket to the first common plug point, or near the brake pedal.. (it may be a bad connection at one of these plugs ;) )If you question any tests you do, you can compare them to the GOOD SIDE..

Good Luck Brian, "Your just got to LOVE 'em to DRIVE 'em"

BudD

Thanks Bud!

I'll check them out this w'end when I have plenty of time, and hopefully this will help Buckskin as well!

I'll jot down all the steps, and hopefully, this will expedite anyone else in the future that may have the same prob.

Thanks again, and Good Luck to you to Buckskin! : )

Brian

Right rear brake light not working.

Hello Brian,
Where is the "major plug near the back of the corvette" you mention? I have found on my 77 the right rear brake light not working. Running lights work and turn signals work. I had no brake lights at all and found I had to replace the brake light switch. At least the left brake light works but I of course need both to work. I will be reworking the ground which is on the frame near the muffler on the driver side. Any other ideas would be appreciated. Is there a "major plug" near the rear end? BTW I just bought this car 2 weeks ago knowing, so I know I have a few challenges ahead. Thanks

Brian,

Try to setup a systematic testing proceedure, and write down or check off the steps as you go, and write in ones you do that aren't on your list. This will actually save you time, and possible help others with the same problems somewhere down the road..

OK,
disconnect at the major plug near the back of the corvette and the socket. Start "ringing" out (checking for grounds) the brake light wire. Test is sections whenever possible all the way back to the brake switch under the dash on the brake leverage point.

My guess it the short is either from the socket to the first common plug point, or near the brake pedal.. (it may be a bad connection at one of these plugs ;) )If you question any tests you do, you can compare them to the GOOD SIDE..

Good Luck Brian, "Your just got to LOVE 'em to DRIVE 'em"

BudD

Check your bulbs and make sure they haven't blown

Right Brake Light and Hazard not Working

Check your bulbs and make sure they haven't blown

I did replace the bulbs and connectors too. I also found the connector under the dash that is feeding wiring harness to the rear to have voltage on the yellow wire but none on the green wire. Might there be another connector beyond this to troubleshoot? All I see is wires... Thanks
I found the brake switch at the pedal to be defective so I replaced it and now the left side works fine. I replaced all 4 connectors on the rear and installed new bulbs and still the right brake light and hazard does not work. I checked the connector that is under the dash and found the yellow wire, feeding the left side to have voltage and I found the green wire, feeding the right side to not have any voltage. - See more at: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...ht-hazard-warning-not-working.html#post116035

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom