Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake Option??

DGVETTE

Corvette
2004 Coupe, 1971 Coupe
I am looking at a 2012 Base Coupe with Cross Drilled Larger Rotors J55 option and Red Calipers J6F option. I think the option numbers are correct. Now are these the same brakes that are standard on Grand Sport models since they have larger brakes. My question is about brake dust. If the brakes are identical then won't they create the excessive brake dust that is reported by many Grand Sport owners? :ugh
Anyone have experience with the larger brake option on a base model?

Thanks
Don

Is it a Z51 coupe?

Is it a Z51 coupe?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the Z51 was replaced by the Grand Sport. I don't think the Z51 option exists anymore.

Is it a Z51 coupe?

No, not Z51 option.
The window sticker lists two options. One for 'Cross Drilled Brake Rotors-Larger' and one for 'Calipers-Red'. These are listed as J55 and J6F in RPO code list.

Thanks
Don

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the Z51 was replaced by the Grand Sport. I don't think the Z51 option exists anymore.

Oops. Forgot about that.

To get the big brakes on a regular coupe, do you have to have the MagRide (F55) option in '12?

If J55, then they probably dust like the GS brakes.

Oops. Forgot about that.

To get the big brakes on a regular coupe, do you have to have the MagRide (F55) option in '12?

If J55, then they probably dust like the GS brakes.

The Window Sticker does not show F55 Magride option. I haven't seen the car, internet shopping.

J55 is included with F55 option on Base Model. J55 is also included with the Custom Color Caliper option available in Red, Gray, Silver and Yellow. That is how I understand it from 2012 Brochure.

This car has the Red calipers with the larger rotors. I'm thinking GS brakes with dusting problem which is a turn off for me.

J55 is included with F55 option on Base Model. J55 is also included with the Custom Color Caliper option available in Red, Gray, Silver and Yellow. That is how I understand it from 2012 Brochure.

This car has the Red calipers with the larger rotors. I'm thinking GS brakes with dusting problem which is a turn off for me.

That makes sense - want Custom Caliper color, you have to get the big brakes - probably don't do custom colors on the base brakes.

As for me, the brake dust would not be an issue - I want the stopping power the big brakes provide and will live with the dust and the need to wash the car and wheels a little more often than some people. Then again my Vette has the gray wheels and the dust issue isn't as much of an issue with those wheels. My V Wagon, on the other hand, has polished wheels and the dust from the Brembos on it are very noticable. Again, I'd rather have the stopping power and just wash it a bit more often.

There is stuff you can put on the wheels that keeps a lot of the brake dust from sticking that might take away your concerns.

That makes sense - want Custom Caliper color, you have to get the big brakes - probably don't do custom colors on the base brakes.

As for me, the brake dust would not be an issue - I want the stopping power the big brakes provide and will live with the dust and the need to wash the car and wheels a little more often than some people. Then again my Vette has the gray wheels and the dust issue isn't as much of an issue with those wheels. My V Wagon, on the other hand, has polished wheels and the dust from the Brembos on it are very noticable. Again, I'd rather have the stopping power and just wash it a bit more often.

There is stuff you can put on the wheels that keeps a lot of the brake dust from sticking that might take away your concerns.

I use the C-Magic wax on my GS rims twice a season, it seems to slow the dust accumulation a bit, but it REALLY makes clean up a breeze!!

I use the C-Magic wax on my GS rims twice a season, it seems to slow the dust accumulation a bit, but it REALLY makes clean up a breeze!!

I've just started putting C-Magic wax on my wheels. Does make clean up easier.

Both the drilled rotors and the red calipers that are optional on the base cars are standard size/type parts. I've seen two different cars that have had those options...the drilled rotors appear to be the same size as the stock base solid rotors, and the red calipers are just painted versions of the smallish stock floating calipers. Sorry, no GS/Z06 brakes available on the base cars. I had hoped the same as you...that I could get a "poor man's GS" by just ordering those options and then slapping on some chubbier sway bars, but no such luck. If you want to play, you'll have to pay...

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom