Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Best replacement brake system

mljones13

Corvette
1981 Red Coupe
Hi guys. I am tired of replacing my brake calipers every two years. I need to change them again, and I am told that I need to replace the entire system. Calipers, rotors, pads, hoses and master cylinder! I need some recommendations for a GOOD (not pricey) replacement brake system. I have done some searching and Baer are WAY too expensive, Wilwood also kinda pricey and then I found DUNTOV. I really don't know enough about brakes to find the right brand without breaking the bank. ALL suggestions will be considered. Thank you in advance for any input.

To completely change over to an aftermarket performance brake system will be pricey and will more than likely not fit inside a 15" wheel so wheels and tires will be part of the expense. Most have larger diameter rotors.

Can I ask why you are replacing your calipers every two years?

Tom

Brake system

To completely change over to an aftermarket performance brake system will be pricey and will more than likely not fit inside a 15" wheel so wheels and tires will be part of the expense. Most have larger diameter rotors.

Can I ask why you are replacing your calipers every two years?

Tom
Hi Tom. It seems that ALL (at least all that I have purchased) of the replacement calipers are just rebuilt (and poorly at that) cores that have exceeded their life cycle. 3 sets, 12 calipers, and they have all leaked in very short order. I have found an aftermarket "direct bolt on" performance system that I hope works out better than the factory crap. Keep in mind, when I say short order, I mean not necessarily time wise, but milage wise. This is a cruiser/show car and I live in Michigan, so it doesn't get many miles put on her in a year. I do start it, put it in drive and reverse moving it a little each time to try to keep things fresh.

Mike

Last edited:
Keep us updated on your brake swap. Others have had problems with rebuilds too and would be interested in a quality alternative. I had problems with cracked bleeder bores on the rears I replaced last winter but the vendor quickly replaced them. In fact I had the replacements before I even got the faulty ones off to send back.

Tom

Brake system

Keep us updated on your brake swap. Others have had problems with rebuilds too and would be interested in a quality alternative. I had problems with cracked bleeder bores on the rears I replaced last winter but the vendor quickly replaced them. In fact I had the replacements before I even got the faulty ones off to send back.

Tom

Will do Tom. Looking forward to having some REALLY good upgraded brakes.

Mike

Update on upgrade replacement brake system.

Will do Tom. Looking forward to having some REALLY good upgraded brakes.

Mike
Hi guys (and gals) I just wanted to update everyone following this thread. I ordered a COMPLETE replacement, upgrade brake system which includes: Master cylinder, S.S. braided brake lines, Wilwood calipers, slotted rotors and new brake pads. I ordered these from Duntov Motors out of Texas. Steven, at Duntov, has been great keeping me informed of when I can expect my parts. Unfortunately, Wilwood was out of stock of my calipers, and Duntov gets the calipers from them in California. Expected delivery of my brake system is the 1st week of December. I ordered my system on the 22nd of September. Yes I know, very long lead time for the parts, but again, Steven has been very forth coming keeping me informed of the progress. So, because it is winter here in Michigan, I will not have the parts installed until spring. Steven was very understanding when I had concern about the warranty starting when they ship, and not getting them installed for several months after receiving them. He has agreed to NOT start the warranty period until I send him a copy of my install invoice. I will post again once I get my parts installed and we see how they perform. Thank you for your time.

Should be a good system. Are the rotors the same diameter as stock?

Tom

Hey guys. Just an update on my replacement brake system. I have all the parts and an appointment to have them installed on April 17th. I am too old to be crawling around under the car anymore, and I have a great mechanic that will take care of the install for me. I will update again after I get the car back. I was told it will take a couple of days to get it completed. Thanks for your time.

Keep us posted on the results. April isn't too far away anymore.

Tom

Hello guys and gals following this thread. I have FINALLY gotten my upgraded brakes installed. I spoke with the mechanic and, according to him, these are RACE CAR compatible! Direct replacement. No issues doing the conversion. They stop as smooth as a baby's butt! So happy I went this way!!!

That's good to hear and just in time for spring.

Tom

That's good to hear and just in time for spring.

Tom
Vette master cyl.jpg
Here are a couple of pictures of the new brake system.brake system braided line.jpgBrake system caliper.jpg Eric Hill. Here is a pic of the master cyl.

Last edited:
Nice looking Calipers.

These are the before and after pictures of the inside of the wheels. I concocted a special recipe to remove the old brake fluid and brake dust, and I think it worked well!Wheels before cleaning.jpgWheels after cleaning.jpg

Nice job.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom