Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake pads: pls Educate me...

S

sothpaw

How do racing pads differ from street material,
in terms of performance and brake dust?

--My recollection is that the racing pads are supposed to not work well at low speed or at least not until they heat up(in which case they are entirely unsuitable for street cars). Do they create a lot of dust?

--I'm looking for pads and wonder if I should go with Hawk Hp
or something more expensive. The car is usually a street machine, but I dabble (once a year?) in road racing and might try an autocross.I don't want a lot of dust--no more than stock dust. I hate cleaning the fan wheels but love the look when they are clean.

Any recommendations for a low dust, performance pad? Sounds
like I'm on the right track with the Hawk Hp (street) pads. I want to be sure.

I haven't read anything on that particular pad... What I do know is brake pads are really stinkin hard to pick out!....

You are correct on the basics... A great pad for in town/cool brake temperatures is terrible on the track. A great track/high temp pad won't stop the car when the brakes are cold. Basically you have to find a happy medium, or change brake pads every time you go racing...

-Ok found the Hawks on Vette brakes web site... They look pretty good... vette brakes is a trusted company in the corvette world too.

-Do you have the big brakes? If you aren't running the 13" brakes, you may want to switch to those... My '96 stops way better than my '93 ever did.

big brakes...

No, would be a good investment, but I have other priorities (exhaust, remember?), so I don't want to spend the big $. But the OEM rotors suck so I can justify replacing them; hopefully
these will by my last set for the front.

Actually there have been several threads lately about brakes. I just replaced my whole system, rotors, pads,calipers, stainless braided hoses, rebuilt my master cylinder. I used Raybestoes pads, they were a bit more monetarily but for my purposes well worth the money. Less dust...great stopping power and they were red to match the car!

you may want to check some of the corvette salvage yards... now that the C5 brakes are out, the regular big brakes aren't all that popular of a mod anymore... you may find a steal on a good set of calipers and rotors

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom