Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake Pads

MARKSC4

Corvette
1996 Polo Green Coupe
It's time for brakes. What brand of pads do you guys recommend?

I'd like some degree of high performance, but I want low-dust and nothing that's going to wear the rotors faster. Purely street use.

Tell me what brands you like or dislike. Many Thanks!

The factory pads fit that bill. How many miles did you get from them?

Got Hawk's street pads from VBP. Seems to be little dust. Highly recomend them after two years.

Got to 33K with the originals - just starting to hear the warning squeaker.

Only 33K

On my 93 I changed out the front pads at 79K and they were the original pads. I was the 3rd owner of this car. I went with the lifetime guarantee pads from Advance Auto Parts cost about 90.00. Unless you have been particularly violent with your brakes you may want to look for a caliper that is hanging up. I would jack the car up and pull the wheels and remove the calipers and see if there is actual were or just a hard spot in the lining. Sometimes just roughing up the lining with a little sand paper and reinstalling them will take care of the squeal. Or you may need to put brake grease on the anti squeal plate.

It's time for brakes. What brand of pads do you guys recommend?

I'd like some degree of high performance, but I want low-dust and nothing that's going to wear the rotors faster. Purely street use.

Tell me what brands you like or dislike. Many Thanks!

I like ceramic pads....wouldn't use anything else ever again. ;)

When I installed 13" brakes on my 87 I got Bobcat pads and a set of rotors from Carbotech. Something like $160 for pads and rotors.
The pads don't dust much at all and they stop good. Quite on the street and are not cold natured.
If you don't need rotors and have no complaints get another set of GM pads. If you want almost no dust find out what GM is putting on an Envoy XL. My wife drives one of these school buses and It makes almost no dust. From what everyone says they are likely ceramic mix.

JS

Hawks HPS they are Great for the street.The Ceramic stop better when they are used for racing but they are more expensive and a little harder on your rotors for every day street driver. The HPS Hawks stop better than my OEM pads and have less brake dust on my wheels. About $110.00 for the fronts if you have J-55 13 inch rotors.

When I upgraded to the ZR 13 inch rotors I was still not pleased with the performance. Based upon the input of this forum, I got information on the EBC pads. While greens were recommended, the supplier suggested going to the EBC Reds. I have been very pleased. No warm up issues, and they stop very well, even at speed. I would highly recommend them.

Whatever you do, don't get cheap pads. They'll wear faster, increase your braking distances and will squeak. I've never used cheap pads on the 'Vette but I have before on a Toyota and ended up doing the job again a few weeks later.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Ran down to Summit Racing and picked up the Hawks. I thought the warning squeak was coming from the front. Opened it up and they were low but not gone. Replaced the front, test drove, did the burnish routine. Darn, still squeaking. Opened up the back, pads nearly gone!. Back to Summit got the backs and wrapped it up. So far so good. Thanks again. :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom