Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake pedal adjustment??

K

K Leitzel

Hello all! I have a strange question. My '72 braking system works fine, but my brake pedal seems to be to "low" or close to the floor. I would like to be able to adjust the pedal and raise it "higher" to keep it away from the gas pedal. Depending on which shoes I wear, my big feet are touching both the gas and brake pedal at the same time ! Very frustrating when running thru the gears. Thanks everybody!

K.L.

I assume you have a 4-speed? "running through the gears" The reason is,, the 4-speed does have a "clutch pedal return spring" the automatics don't. The sping is on the main shaft of the brake & clutch. It is a tension type wound spring that helps the CLUTCH pedal return, but improperly installed can hinder the return of the brake pedal.

I don't know of any external springs for the brake pedal. There are springs within the power brake unit. My guess is the "Power piston return spring" is not doing its job. This spring is internal to the power brake unit (aka Booster Pump, Power Assist Pump).

The brake pedal has a mechanical linkage that is connected to a shaft that in turn is connected to the master cylinder.

Note: Your brake lights also operate from a switch off your brake pedal. (FYI)

Best of Luck..

Along this same line, I'm looking at an 80 automatic where the brake pedal and gas seem too close for my feet. I have to slide my foot down to miss the brake pedal, so I'm just contacting the very bottom of the gas pedal. Having my foot wedged between the gas and the brake doesn't seem like a very safe proposition. Is there any adjustment side-side for the brake pedal? Doesn't have to move much.

You guys must have big feet!! I can't believe that I just said that.:duh

Well, I didn't think they were that big. However, was able to drive the car again last night and didn't seem to have as much problem. Don't know why, must have had my foot positioned a little differently. Although at times, I was nicking the brake when moving over to the gas. I'd hate to have someone accuse me of "riding the brake". Especially if the name on the back says Corvette.

btw,,, I have tried different shoes. No change. Shoe size 11, normal width.

Airboss: Although my feet arent in 11's, mine are a bit smaller, i have to have my right foot slightly rotated to the right on the gas, or else i'd hit the brake pedal too, slightly. It seems more prevelant with some types of shoes of mine.
:w

Rare81 said:
K.L.

It is a tension type wound spring that helps the CLUTCH pedal return, but improperly installed can hinder the return of the brake pedal.
Would you please elaborate on the bold statement (no pun intended) above? My brake pedal seems "hindered" in that it doesn't always return fully (brake lights on with nobody in the car) - so now I suspect an "improperly installed" spring. Many things were installed that way.....

I know I will have to dive under there eventually, but I want to be well educated before I do - my fat, old body doesn't like those kinds of places anymore so I like to know what I need to do first, then dive in and get out quick. Unfortunately, "quick" and "working on the Corvette" never seem to end up in the same sentence anyway....

Anything you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

Rare81 said:
K.L.

I assume you have a 4-speed? "running through the gears" The reason is,, the 4-speed does have a "clutch pedal return spring" the automatics don't. The sping is on the main shaft of the brake & clutch. It is a tension type wound spring that helps the CLUTCH pedal return, but improperly installed can hinder the return of the brake pedal.
The coil-wound spring inside the pedal support is the BRAKE pedal return spring, only used with manual brakes; the clutch pedal return spring is out in the engine compartment, between the top lever on the Z-bar and the bracket on the firewall next to the steering column pass-through. There's no external brake pedal return spring on power brake cars; the booster handles that.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom