Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake pedal position...?

Corvette
1996 LT4 Collector Edition
Hi all. I'm new to the world of Corvettes, and have a question about the brake pedal position in my LT4/6 speed equiped car. The brake pedal is much higher (further away from the floor) than the clutch pedal, and I was wondering if this is normal for this car? If not normal, then can it be adjusted?

I've had the car on the track a couple of times now, and I cannot get the heel/toe action down because the pedal is so high! Even under hard braking, the brake pedal is still too high above the gas pedal. I'd like to have it so that when I'm braking hard, the brake pedal is just slightly higher than the gas.

I took a look under the dash with the panel removed, and can't see an adjustment point. Could something be installed incorrectly? I don't have any documentation from the previous owners, so I don't know what's been done to the car.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Barry

Wind whistles down an empty street...

OK, if I post a pic of the beast on the track, will someone at least say hello? :s

hello!

At first you talk about the brake Vs. clutch pedal, then later brake Vs. gas pedal. There is a drastic difference between the brake and gas pedal. not too much between the brake and clutch though. can you post a pic of the difference between those?

Vettelt193,

Thanks for posting, I thought maybe my browser was broken!

Sorry if I was confusing in my original post. The reference to the clutch pedal was just to point out that visually, the brake pedal is much further from the floorboard than the clutch. I'll get a pic and post it tonight.

The goal here is to be able to properly heel/toe the car on the track. To get to that point, I'm trying to change is what I feel is the excessive height of the brake pedal from the floorboard. I'd like to be able to adjust the brake pedal closer to the floorboard. That way, when I am braking for a turn, the brake pedal will be roughly on the same plane as the gas pedal, making it easier to blip the throttle for the downshift.

Hope I haven't muddied the waters even further with this long-winded post!

Thanks again,
Barry

Suggestion? Make an adaptor to attach to the face of the gas pedal to make it even with the brake pedal. A block of wood or hard ruber should work and then glue and screw it to the original pedal face. Would that work??

Randy:w

Thanks Randy.

Yeah, I thought about that, and if the brake pedal assembly is not adjustable, then I'll probly do just that.

Barry

Picture of the pedals...

OK, so last night I took a couple of pics of the pedals, and took some measurements.

The brake pedal is 2 inches higher than than the clutch pedal, and almost 3 inches higher than the gas pedal!

Does anybody else have this problem?

Thanks,

Barry

Here's another shot from a different angle...

Hello!
That's about all I can offer as I have an auto but it seems like an inconvenient and maybe dangerous condition you have. Lots of guys will jump in to help, never fear...:beer

Now I gotta go home and look at mine... I need an excuse to pull it out of the garage anyway:) I thought the pics would make it obvious, but yours looks normal without comparing them to anything. I will follow up and let you know

My 92 is sitting outside and the pedals look a lot like these pictures. I'm leaning toward 'normal' like Vettelt193 here.

When I use the brakes, the pedal goes down about half way and allows me to use the right side of my shoe to blip the throttle while I'm breaking with the left side. Not exactly heel-toe technique but it's the way I know how to do it.

Everybody, thanks for the feedback. It's much appreciated!

I guess instead of trying to adjust the car to my style, I'll adjust my style to the car. Everything else about the car is SO GOOD!!!

:J

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom