Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake pedal sometimes not where I left it?

tcannon

Corvette
C4 track car
Hi everyone. I noticed an odd behavior where if I'm driving a while without using my brakes, the pedal is low when I step on it. The brakes work just fine if I push -- they don't fade -- the will stop the car. I cannot heel-toe with the brake pedal that low though. A quick tap brings the pedal right up where you'd expect it. I sometimes tap with my left before braking so that I know what kind of pedal to expect.

I thought about what might cause this for quite a while, and came up empty. The master cylinder would give me low pedal and brake fade, maybe. There is some kind of vacuum assist and I have no idea how they work but found no logic to it.

I asked around a bit and was suggested the idea that maybe turns and bumps (my race suspension is seemingly made of welded iron) might be pushing the pistons back into the calipers from things flexing around the rotor. I did some research and pad kickback is a thing. Maybe my wheel bearings are a little loose?

I'm just putting this up in case anyone has any better guesses to the problem or if this is a problem you've run into, what was the culprit?

Thanks!

It wouldn't hurt to flush out the old brake fluid with new and that would eliminate any air that might be in the system as well

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I have to agree with Doug on this.. A good flush and bleed to get any air out. Because what you are describing is "normally" a symptom of air in the lines.

A bad vacuum (assist) booster normally makes the pedal "harder."

Last edited:
I read the post and got the impression is that the pedal is already low (not against the stop) before the OP puts his foot on it. Air/bad fluid won't do that.

I read the post and got the impression is that the pedal is already low (not against the stop) before the OP puts his foot on it. Air/bad fluid won't do that.

It was pad knock back from a loose wheel bearing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom