Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake Question on 1989....?

P

puppyfang

Just purchased this 1989 coupe with 19k miles, which has sat for a while,
had to change out a few things but nothing major...however have a question about the brakes....if the car sits over night and you start it and back up the brakes feel very hard and then when you step on the brakes a few time there is this glunk noise followed by a whine then everything seems to be ok...any ideas... seems to be in the rear brake somewhere...advice please...thanks

Sounds like something going on with the antilock system. Maybe a brake system flush would help.

Glenn
:w

does anyone know if there is some type of electric boost motor in the rear of the thing that would help the brakes...seems that after the whine noise followed by a clunk... the brakes are fine...any thoughts?

I don't know about the clunk, but the whine sounds like it could be the normal ABS calibration routine. After starting the car and backing up the ABS will recalibrate itself. When it does this it sounds like a whine coming from behind the drivers seat.

ABS

Sounds like the ABS testing itself. Turn up the radio like I do and you won't hear these little sounds that make you go Hmm. I turned down my radio and now I am investigating a mysterious clunk coming from the rear! :eek:hnoes

Yes, I know those clunks...the car is only 3 wks old to me...so I am not use to its little quarks...Driving me up the wall some times... I know all of my 1975 noises...and I love them... this one ...not sure if it will ever get in my good graces...

brakes clunking

ya m8 have the same car, the abs resets on reverse,it goes clunk than all is good.should be fine, capt bane.

Sounds like the ABS testing itself. Turn up the radio like I do and you won't hear these little sounds that make you go Hmm. I turned down my radio and now I am investigating a mysterious clunk coming from the rear! :eek:hnoes[/quote

Yah this works for me too. I added a self-powered sub to help out with the more alarming and insistent vocalizations from the nether regions. I figure if somethins really bad wrong the gauges or wild crazy erratic performance will let me know about it. (except for my own of course).

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom