Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake reservoir leak?

MusclecarJohn

Corvette
'92 arctic white coupe
Hey everyone, I now have a brake issue,
brake reservoir on my 92 started leaking, I found a new reservoir at my Chevy dealer, BUT they said the grommets that seal the plastic reservoir to the master cyl. are discontinued :ugh do you guys think I should just use th old ones? BTW the leak is coming from the plastic res.nipple and not the seals, if this makes sense? and also my service asr/abs lights are glowing, is this due to the system leak because I filled the reservoir but the lights are still on :eyerole

Hey everyone, I now have a brake issue,
brake reservoir on my 92 started leaking, I found a new reservoir at my Chevy dealer, BUT they said the grommets that seal the plastic reservoir to the master cyl. are discontinued :ugh do you guys think I should just use th old ones? BTW the leak is coming from the plastic res.nipple and not the seals, if this makes sense? and also my service asr/abs lights are glowing, is this due to the system leak because I filled the reservoir but the lights are still on :eyerole
You should be able to find the grommets at Auto Zone or Advanced in the HELP section!!:thumb As far as the ABS/ASR did it get low enough on brake fluid to suck air into the system??:confused

That's odd, we just bought a set for a customer's car (from Chevy) and the gromets were included with the cups. A real Bit!# to seat too. Our Chevy parts guy had to order the gromets from MI.

You should be able to find the grommets at Auto Zone or Advanced in the HELP section!!:thumb As far as the ABS/ASR did it get low enough on brake fluid to suck air into the system??:confused

Junk, the fluid got pretty low but the reservoir cap was on, then I took off the cap and filled it but the service lights came on, I hope it didn't get air in the system, I guess we'll be bleeding it anyway when I get my new reservoir, I will check AZ for the grommets Thanks :thumb

That's odd, we just bought a set for a customer's car (from Chevy) and the gromets were included with the cups. A real Bit!# to seat too. Our Chevy parts guy had to order the gromets from MI.

I figured they'd be a pain to seat, my Chevy dealer is getting my reservoir from MI as well, but he told me no grommets included :ugh

If the sealing grommets are not leaking and you don't have new ones, reuse them. Use a little brake parts assembly lubricant on them before you push the reserviour back in place.

You said the leak is at the "plastic res. nipple". Are you talking about the ABS prime pipe connection?

If your service ABS/ASR light is on, you have a problem that the ABS/ASR on board diagnostics has detected. Consult the factory service manual for instructions on how to get the fault codes out of the ABS controller's memory along with instructions on how to repair the fault.

You;re SoCal ? John?
Did you call J&D or WestCoast, Mikes or Coast corvette?
Those are all LA or OC Ca.

I have a catalog from a local place here in Tx, Gulf Coast Corvette that has the master cyl seal listed for $6.99.
I do know if its not on the shelf they can have it in a cpl days. They also list the new master cyl for over $500 !

If the sealing grommets are not leaking and you don't have new ones, reuse them. Use a little brake parts assembly lubricant on them before you push the reserviour back in place.

Will do

You said the leak is at the "plastic res. nipple". Are you talking about the ABS prime pipe connection?

Hib, it's the little plastic pipe thingy on the res.

If your service ABS/ASR light is on, you have a problem that the ABS/ASR on board diagnostics has detected. Consult the factory service manual for instructions on how to get the fault codes out of the ABS controller's memory along with instructions on how to repair the fault.

I will refer to my fsm on that, Thanks Hib

You;re SoCal ? John?
Did you call J&D or WestCoast, Mikes or Coast corvette?
Those are all LA or OC Ca.

I have a catalog from a local place here in Tx, Gulf Coast Corvette that has the master cyl seal listed for $6.99.
I do know if its not on the shelf they can have it in a cpl days. They also list the new master cyl for over $500 !

boomdriver, I so far checked Ebay, called J&D, and Corvette Specialty, but they say I need to buy a whole new master cylinder as they have no seals seperate :ugh but I will check Auto Zone as Junk said when I get back to it next weekend

yep...it might be in the "help" misc parts on the shelf there at the zone...

If all else fails,. Call Richard at GulfCoast and get what you need ordred for shipment to your address. They have your seals in the catalog so they can drop-ship to you.
That ph# is...281-441-2111 OR 800-546-2111

Good Luck with the search !

part #--39063 described as master cyl resevoir seal

I bought the seals last year from the dealer who ordered them. Maybe you could give them the part number just for the seals to see if they can order them that way?

Thanks for the info boomdriver, I surely will call them if I cannot find them locally

I'll try what you say as well josh, Thanks you guys :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom