Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake Rotors turning White?

jnj

Corvette
2006 Machine Silver Coupe
Brake Calipers turning White?

Hello all,
What could be the cause of my stock calipers starting to turn white from the edges inward? Was considering painting them to match the car, never can seem to find the time.
Thanx~
Jeff

Mine are doing that too.
I'm afraid the dirt and heat buildup over time causes the paint to oxidize. Not many ways to fix it other than repaint them. I don't have time either.

Are you an agressive driver, are the calipers painted and if yes do you know what kind of paint was used?

Hi Guys,
Yes I had a brain fart and said paint my rotors. After the first response, I kicked myself and edited the copy. NOW, my calipers are stock and not painted (yet). They are turning white from the edges in. Could it be heat related or from the wheel cleaner I use, which is generally an off the shelf type of wheel cleaner such as orange blast or any other brand I find. I am not an agressive driver, just a little spirited at times. Just enough to make the kids in their souped up rice rockets look silly in front of their passengers.
Thanx for all the help....

jnj-
Remo and I have a long history of poking fun at each other. No harm intended. :D

My calipers are painted red, so I cannot help.

Hi Guys,
Yes I had a brain fart and said paint my rotors. After the first response, I kicked myself and edited the copy. NOW, my calipers are stock and not painted (yet). They are turning white from the edges in. Could it be heat related or from the wheel cleaner I use, which is generally an off the shelf type of wheel cleaner such as orange blast or any other brand I find. I am not an agressive driver, just a little spirited at times. Just enough to make the kids in their souped up rice rockets look silly in front of their passengers.
Thanx for all the help....
It's from the wheel cleaner!!!! Mine are almost 4 years old and Look Like New!!! I don't use anything on my wheels and Calipers,except Joy dish washing detergent and a wash mitt!!:upthumbs

I misunderstood the problem as well.
The calipers are Aluminum, and if they are turning white at the edges that means the paint is peeling off. The Aluminum is oxidizing to Aluminum oxide and it is white in color. The best thing to do is pull them off and repaint them after a thorough cleaning with detergent, and hope they don't continue to peel. Otherwise a full sandblasting. repaint and rebuild are probably the only thing to restore them.

Mine are just getting gray colored on the surface due to dirt buildup and not scrubbing the paint clean when I wash it.

I misunderstood the problem as well.
The calipers are Aluminum, and if they are turning white at the edges that means the paint is peeling off. The Aluminum is oxidizing to Aluminum oxide and it is white in color. The best thing to do is pull them off and repaint them after a thorough cleaning with detergent, and hope they don't continue to peel. Otherwise a full sandblasting. repaint and rebuild are probably the only thing to restore them.

Mine are just getting gray colored on the surface due to dirt buildup and not scrubbing the paint clean when I wash it.
Or you can have Cruiser82 set you up with a set of these!!:upthumbs

Paint the Rotors

Actually I'm going to paint my rotors while the car is down for the winter. Going to go with gloss black - the Corvette script should show up very well and it will be in keeping with the silver and black scheme of the car.

Remo:cool

Yep from heat, age...

Mine were white and light silver blotches when I got my car. Looked bad so I painted them red.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom