Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brake Warning Light

V

Valkguy

It appears as though the parking brake warning light serves a dual purpose. It also warns of a pressure drop in the brake fluid. My light is staying on, applying the parking brake makes if brighter.

The brake fluid is topped off, brakes are working great. I'm thinking the switch is bad giving a false reading. Anyone else have this problem?? Is there a procedure for testing this switch? It's mounted in a fitting near the left fender well. I'd hate to take it out. Doing so would require a bleed job.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave, Yes, if you take it out it will require that you belled the brake. But, before you do that, you should check to see where the problem is. Since the like does do two things you need to determin wich of the two it is doing. Undo the brown (My favorite color:t ) and see if the ligt goes out, if it does the problem is in the switch at the porportioning valve or there really is a problem with the brakes, you just don't know it. If the light stays on, check the switch for the e-brake handle........Good luck.......Steve

Hi Valkguy,
I have been battling my brakes ever since I purchased my car, July 3, 00. it wasn't til 2 weeks ago that I finally solved my problem. I've had 5 mechanics who knew brakes work on my car.
and it was through the process of elimitation that finally solved this mystery. I replaced the entire braking system a little at a time each time the brakes would hold for 2-3 days and the pedal would go to the floor. the CAR would stop ok under normal driving but I had to be careful not to come to any panic stops. what it turned out to be was a slight crack on the line that runs from the master cylander to the proportioning valve. the only part that wasn't replaced in the system. Oddly enough it did not leak fluid but apparently sucked in air that made that little light go on. I replaced the line and now the brakes have been great for the last 2 weeks, so I think my problem is solved. however on your problem since you suspect that switch I would replace it since you have to bleed the brakes anyway. this would be a good place to start. I hope it's that simple and you do not have to go through what I did. Good Luck and let us know how you made out.
Joe V.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom