Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

brakes squeal

Brian Deutsch

Corvette
2003 Z-06
I have a 2003 Z06 with 5000 miles. brakes squeal since new... mostly noticeable coasting into a stop. any suggestions on fixing? dealer says it's metalic pads... nothing to be done.

Brian, have a 04 Z on order and all i have talked to say their brakes do the same thing. i know guys who have changed to ceramic pads and that solved the noise. there is nothing wrong with the pads though, just the way they are, Jack. good luck with the Z, enjoy.

:( Awe man, WAIT til you put RACING PADS on the Z !!!

The sucker will SQUEAL like a PIG... but stop on a dime and give you a nickle back!!! ;)

thanks, I appreciate the input... I should just keep the gas pedal down in neutral, and I'll never hear the squeal.

Brake Squeal and Brake Dust Accumulation - ABS TCS wheel (08/18/2003)

Corvette (Y- Body) 2002, 2003 and 2004 Z06 Corvette Brake Squeal and Brake Dust Accumulation

The Corvette Z06 is equipped with high performance front brake linings that provide improved brake performance under severe use. Like all such linings, they will exhibit some low speed noise and an increase in the amount of brake dust. These conditions should be considered normal for this brake pad material. If this is a large customer dissatisfier, the front brake pads used on the convertible and Targa can be used as a replacement. The convertible and Targa brake pad will NOT provide the same level of performance under severe use.

Models:
02, 03, 04 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

--------------------------------------------------------

Personally I don't think it's worth this repair

Brian Deutsch said:
thanks, I appreciate the input... I should just keep the gas pedal down in neutral, and I'll never hear the squeal.

;) Naw.. don't do THAT.

:) If you do.... YOU will hear transmission rattle, VALVE TRAIN noise, and FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE.... don't back off the THROTTLE, or you will hear POPPING from your exhaust!!!

:D Brian... The Z06 is for the "HARD CORE" CORVETTE DRIVER !!! The rough EDGES go along with the higher performance we demand!

:D No flame intended.... have fun with your Z !

Have the same issue with my 03 and it is not a Z06. Been back to the dealer 2 times and they can't fix it. Last attempt was to put an anti squeal pad on. However, they only put it on 1 wheel so I can't tell if it is fixed...

Good luck! I'm learning to turn the radio up before I stop.

Kevin

The best thing to do is take it out on the road and get up to 80 or 90 MPH and stand on the brakes! Basically take it to the limit on the pads. This clears the brake dust and the squelling will stop. I usually do this about one every two weeks and I seldom hear squelling anymore. One last thing. Once you do this you need to drive around for about 10 minutes to cool the brakes.

Jefe said:
The best thing to do is take it out on the road and get up to 80 or 90 MPH and stand on the brakes! Basically take it to the limit on the pads. This clears the brake dust and the squelling will stop. I usually do this about one every two weeks and I seldom hear squelling anymore. One last thing. Once you do this you need to drive around for about 10 minutes to cool the brakes.

and what kind of road do you get up to 90 on and then stomp on the brakes? its a sure way to get yourself killed if you do it on a highway.

HI there,
If the squeal is a big concern for you, a simple solution is to just install 01 Zo6 brake pads.
They will not produce the noise, and give you almost as good stopping power when hot.
Allthebest, c4c5:hb

and what kind of road do you get up to 90 on and then stomp on the brakes? its a sure way to get yourself killed if you do it on a highway.

Give me a break!! I drive to work each morning on the freeway and my average speed is 80-85 just to flow with traffic. You can't tell me that you live in an area that you couldn't take the car out to a road that has little to no traffic and get it up to 80-90 and stand on the brakes. These cars are built for this and when you stand on the brakes it does not slide the tires. That is why GM put ABS in them and they stay straight as an arrow. Don't know about your Vette but mine will get up to that speed in about 7-8 seconds and not use but very little road. If you own a Vette, especially a Z06, then drive it like a Vette!

the highest speed limit in our area is 55( that I know of)...unless you travel an hour or more and you reach the major highways leading into philly.

but if I had a vette to drive I can honestly say I would be doing the same thing:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom