Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brakes - squishy

Aeolus702

Corvette
1990 L98 Dark Red Metallic Coupe
Alright, so here's the problem. the brakes don't start to actually "brake" until the paddle is about halfway to the floor. and it takes a bit of effort to brake.

the brake fluid in the reservoir is black, and like the top of the fluid is clear. (about 2/8in.), other than this idk what could be contributing to the problem.

'90 coupe

Leak in vac supply to brake booster, or IN booster.

Fire it, stick yer head under the dash, and hit the pedal with your hand. Listen for the hiss. If so, the bladder in the booster diaphragm is ruptured. If no hiss, I'm wrong...

i put my head under the dash. what i head was just the diaphram from the brake booster moving. no hiss, just the rubber stuff folding amongst itself. (thump kinda noise)

p5020327.jpg

i also have this thing in the master cylinder, its liek sticking out. and i know its not supposed to be out like that. (seen pics of other vettes)

wheres the vac supply? i have no clue where that is... lol im such a noob >_<

Here's brake vac supply line on LT1. L98 will end up in the same place, but WHERE the vac supply port location is on the intake/plenum escapes me at the moment...

On a warm motor, do you notice ANY rpm shift when you apply brakes?

attachment.php

your broken part

the number of the part on Corvette America - Corvette Parts and Accessories is 30147 and is |1984-1995|Brake Pressure Warning Switch. i just had to order one just the other night after finding one of the wires on the top is broken. I'm really not sure what it does but cant be doing any good broken :)

this should make it easy Corvette America - Online Catalog

along with replacing that part, I'm replacing the old brake lines with G-Stop Brake Line and beading out all that old black break fluid, should be fun.

the brake fluid in the reservoir is black,
That would be a good indication your fluid is well past it use by date.Brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air and should be replaced regular.
Start by doing a full fluid flush /bleed and see if pedal response improves.
Also old stock rubber hoses get spongy and can expand with pressure ; increasing pedal travel and reducing pressure to the calipers

could air along with the hoses cause it to become soft?
Any air in the brake system gives bad brakes ;
when you push the pedal ,the air compresses first before the fluid moves the caliper piston so alot of your pedal force does nothing but compress the air

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom