Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brakes

J

jkern

I am having a problem replacing the brake pads on the rear wheels of a 67. The pistons do not stay compressed even when I bleed fluid. They act like there have springs behind them. Do I need a special tool? I have never had this problem on any other car.

'67 brakes

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center. You'll like it here.

You guessed it. Your brake pistons are spring loaded. Ecklers ( www.ecklers.com ) has a set of 4 disc brake piston retainer clips that hold the pistons in the retracted position while you change the pads. They are part number 39942 and are priced @ $11.99 in the catalog I am looking at. These are the hot setup and will save you and your seals a lot of grief.

Tom

Re: '67 brakes

59Tom said:
Ecklers ( www.ecklers.com ) has a set of 4 disc brake piston retainer clips that hold the pistons in the retracted position while you change the pads. They are part number 39942 and are priced @ $11.99 in the catalog I am looking at. These are the hot setup and will save you and your seals a lot of grief.
Tom

Do yourself a favor and buy the clips Tom is recomending. Lots of people have gone the cheap route and tried to rig their own comtraptions and ended up really screwing up the pistons or the cylinders or the o-rings or a combination of all of them. $11.99 is a lot cheaper than rebuilding/replacing everything all over again.

One more thing - Welcome to the CAC!

i have had pretty good success in just using sockets from my tool box as an expander it works pretty well and since you only do this once in a while it can save you money and time. now i normally have had the caliper off the car, and i am assumming that this is what you have done. i have never tried to install new pads with the caliper still on the car. and that may be the difference of using the tool from ecklers. with the sockets (the largest that you can fit in between them) installed between the two pads this compresses the pistons back into there hole and creates the gap required to install the caliper over the rotor. as the caliper is installed over the rotor the rotor pushes out the sockets and the caliper is safely back on the rotor. viola' ready for bolts and bleeding. hope this helps it has worked for me

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom