Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Braless?

O

osuvette

I think I might actually break down and get one of those front end masks for my road trips. As much as I hate the look of them, I'm tired of getting paint chips and giant bug crap that looks like a black baby rabbit exploded on my front end everytime I go from houston to dallas. Do you guys use a mask and what kind do you recommend to get? I want to get something that doesn't scratch up my front end, and is easy to get on and off.
I did a search and all I saw was some stuff about the GM bra or a clear bra. If anyone's tried anything else le me know.
Thanks

I think I might actually break down and get one of those front end masks for my road trips. As much as I hate the look of them, I'm tired of getting paint chips and giant bug crap that looks like a black baby rabbit exploded on my front end everytime I go from houston to dallas. Do you guys use a mask and what kind do you recommend to get? I want to get something that doesn't scratch up my front end, and is easy to get on and off.
I did a search and all I saw was some stuff about the GM bra or a clear bra. If anyone's tried anything else le me know.
Thanks

I use the GM bra which I picked up new for about $60 from a forum member on another board. I also bought the mirror bras (from Mid America Motorworks, I think). I only use them for runs to Kansas City and back (abou 2 hours each way). I only use them if the car is freshly washed and waxed, and I take them off when I get there. Initial installation (snap screws and such) takes about 45 min to an hour. After that, 5 minutes to get it on, 3 minutes to get it off.

Clear Bra

A clear bra, what a concept, why didn't I think of that! Anyway, I had a bra on my 70 coupe, it was on the car when I bought it, when I removed it, it had rubbed the chrome off the corners of the bumper.

Bra/Mask Recommendations

Like the earlier post by osuvette, I'm looking for a mask or bra to use only on road trips. I would like something that has a fairly easy on/off regimen (I don't really want to use any screws or snaps that I have to affix to the vehicle, if possible), yet provides decent protection and doesn't look too bad. A co-worker suggested the mylar pieces that cling by static adhesion. Anyone have any experience with the latter or suggestions about a traditional mask? Thanks.

Like the earlier post by osuvette, I'm looking for a mask or bra to use only on road trips. I would like something that has a fairly easy on/off regimen (I don't really want to use any screws or snaps that I have to affix to the vehicle, if possible), yet provides decent protection and doesn't look too bad. A co-worker suggested the mylar pieces that cling by static adhesion. Anyone have any experience with the latter or suggestions about a traditional mask? Thanks.

I tried the static cling pieces (say bye-bye once you hit 90mph). As for the bra, you simply replace existing screws with snap headed screws. No drilling involved. I painted my snaps flat black, they're not even noticeable when the bra's off the car.

Had a mask on my ford sedan. It rubbed the paint off. Sold the one I had for the vette and installed clear one.Paid $27 on ebay, took about 20 mins to install. You have to really be looking for it to know its there. After about 2 months it got some dirt on the part of the edge and it stuck on there,this was after I drove all day through the rain. If it really starts to bother me for $27 I'll buy another and stay out of the rain.

I tried the static cling pieces (say bye-bye once you hit 90mph). As for the bra, you simply replace existing screws with snap headed screws. No drilling involved. I painted my snaps flat black, they're not even noticeable when the bra's off the car.

90 mph is speeding and I know none of us do that blahhahaha :lou J/K
I am watching this thread with interest because I'm tried of rock chips and touch up paint. Not to mention that road trip in June!

I bought the GM bra 2 years ago. The initial installation is a pain, if you follow the fuzzy instructions.

And, replace the crappy plastic inserts you get with the bra. Go to any boat supplier and get additional snap screws. Takes about 2 minutes to install the hardware and then the bra. (The shop sold me 12 for an exorbitant fee of ONE DOLLAR)

I use it only when I'm going on an extended drive. When I get home, I take it off. (no one likes to sleep in a bra, do they?)

If it rains, take the bra off afterwards, too. There is no problem with any mold or moisture building up under there if you remove it. Nor have I noticed one problem with scratching or friction.

The problems come when the bra is left on and never removed.

Also, don't stuff it with toilet paper. It looks fake and the paper scratches the paint!!!:D

I recommend it, but as I said, I only use it when I think I'm gonna need it.
It's really not a bother at all.

Put on the clear bra and forget about it.

I bought the 'carbon fiber' style mask from MidAmerica (part number 606-719) when we got our 2003. It goes on quick, comes off quick and covers the nose and up onto the hood:

606719.jpg

They used to come with headlight covers and I have those but they are a pain and tend to come loose.

I only use it on road trips and I take it off and clean it regularly. I found that a hand held vac is perfect for cleaning the back side of dirt and bugs - especially if the vac has a 'beater brush'.

If it gets wet, I generally take it off and let it dry before cleaning it and putting it back on.

This one also folds up and fits in the rear storage are.

Oh, it seems to work fine up to about 90MPH. Above that, I notice a little flutter at the wind deflector up on the hood. Flutter of the bra will kill the paint quick especially if there is any dirt and stuff between the bra and the paint where it flutters.

I use the GM bra which I picked up new for about $60 from a forum member on another board. I also bought the mirror bras (from Mid America Motorworks, I think). I only use them for runs to Kansas City and back (abou 2 hours each way). I only use them if the car is freshly washed and waxed, and I take them off when I get there. Initial installation (snap screws and such) takes about 45 min to an hour. After that, 5 minutes to get it on, 3 minutes to get it off.

I also use a GM Bra for road trips only. Works very well, on & off
easy. I also purchased mine used from a member of another
forum. Used it this fall for the trip to Tenn. and had no problems.

A worth while investment.

Hey gang - this thread is not what I thought it would be.

Remo:cool

Lets see some stunning pictures of what you thought it would be! :rotfl

;LOL
Oh, if only he could! Unfortunately, I have a feeling that if Remo obliged, this thread might end up in the Edge.

-Patrick

Naturally Provocative

;LOL
Oh, if only he could! Unfortunately, I have a feeling that if Remo obliged, this thread might end up in the Edge.

-Patrick

Here's a nice frontal shot of mine - "braless" with no augmentations.:L
QuicksilverFrontjpg.jpg

Here's a nice frontal shot of mine - "braless" with no augmentations.:L
QuicksilverFrontjpg.jpg

No augmentations! Lingenfelter didn't just take your bonnet off and play with your wires?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom