Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Break In Oil..................Needed Or Not Needed?

I have been building engines for 50+ years and I have never used any of these new "break in" oils. If the engine has a flat tappet cam I spray the lobes with graphite spray, smear #2 moly grease on them, then use an ordinary 10W30 oil (synthetic or non-synthetic) and change it at 5000 miles. If the engine has a roller cam I just use an ordinary 10W30 oil (synthetic or non-synthetic) and change it at 5000 miles. I have never had a premature camshaft failure in these past 50 years so I question the need for break in oils for street engines anyway. Camshaft manufacturers will recommend using the outer valve springs ONLY during the initial break in to minimize the possibility of camshaft lobe damage and that's what I do. For obvious reasons break in oils contain a higher concentration of ZDDP for breaking in flat tappet camshafts but you can buy small containers of ZDDP over the internet.

So my question is...........are break in oils really needed for breaking in street engines?

Acid Etched Camshaft Lobes And Initial Timing

Flat tappet camshaft lobes are acid etched to provide microscopic pits to hold lubricant for the initial break in. But equally important is the ability for the engine to be IMMEDIATELY started and run up to 2000+ rpm and that's where many people fail as they don't have the knowledge to correctly time their engines prior to the initial start. So many engines get cranked and cranked and cranked and cranked and cranked until the battery is stone dead. To correctly time a C3 Chevrolet V8 engine it's only necessary to put it on 8-10 degrees before TDC (of the compression stroke), turn the key ON, rotate the distributor clockwise well past #1, then rotate it counterclockwise toward #1 until the timing light flashes. When the timing light flashes lock the distributor down and it's ready to start. If people could simply learn how to time their engines beforehand many camshaft failures could be avoided.

Break In Oils

Anybody care to chime in? Are these so-called "break in" oils just oils with a higher ZDDP content to help protect flat tappet camshafts?

So my question is...........are break in oils really needed for breaking in street engines?

Hell no, your proof that any genius can do what ever they want to.

If I were you I'd dredge up some of your used mineral oil to break in your pre-broken engines.

Assembly Lube And Break In Oil

Back in the 60's and 70's we didn't have "assembly lube" or "break in" oil. We just smeared heavy duty wheel bearing grease on the bearings and camshaft lobes and didn't have any bearing or camshaft failures. We did pre-lube our engines but that's all we did. The products available today are far better for sure but many millions of engines got built using ordinary heavy duty wheel bearing grease.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

TBTR
What is required is ZDDP for flat tappet engines. In addition, as LLC5 mentioned a mechanic who adept enough setting up an engine so he or you doesn't run the battery dead trying to start it.

As I was around in the late 1960s; I sincerely doubt your back in the day baloney as much as your current baloney.

However, my compliments to you for being the most amusing dude on the internet.

Assembly Lube And Break In Oil

During World War II, Korea, Vietnam, and both of the Gulf wars we sent literally millions of engines overseas with nothing more than cosmoline covering them. Granted they weren't "high performance" engines by any definition but they managed to survive without the benefits of specialized "assembly lubes" and "break in" oils. Now days I smear a thin coating of white grease on my bearings during assembly because I'm going to pre-lube it anyway just before starting and I don't pre-fill the filter because my pre-lubing accomplishes that within about 3 seconds. Heck, even for extended storage white grease is more than adequate for engine bearings and #2 moly grease is more than adequate for most flat tappet camshafts with no more than 100# seat pressure. Another fantastic flat tappet camshaft lobe lubricant is motorcycle chain lube that is really dirt cheap considering how long a 16 ounce spray can lasts.

When do new cars get their first oil change? At half the normal interval and then normal from then on?

Back in the '60's, I remember using STP as an assembly lube. If a new aftermarket camshaft was going in, we used the supplied assembly lube. Then Lubriplate came up with their #5 assembly lube. Now a days, everyone and their dog has an assembly lube and break-in oil. The cam manufactors now recommend using their own particular break-in oil for their flat tappet offerings, which the use of is tied to their warranty. GM has had their EOS for years now, which is recommended for use in breaking in their crate motors. Is the lack of ZPPD a threat to our camshafts? Don't know.

Flat tappets it can be, rollers no.

You are correct sir. I was thinking flat tappets, but didn't make that clear.

You are correct sir. I was thinking flat tappets, but didn't make that clear.

If the "break in" oils simply contain a higher zinc content then I can understand the benefit of using them for flat tappet camshafts. When I tore my 40,000 mile engine down a few weeks ago I noticed all of the lifters had a little 1/4" diameter "ring" in the middle of the foot but it was as smooth as glass. And all of the camshaft lobes were equally as smooth with no signs of scuffing.

If the "break in" oils simply contain a higher zinc content then I can understand the benefit of using them for flat tappet camshafts.

As usual, wrong; ZDDP not just break in oil.

Zinc dialkyldithiophosphate (ZDDP) is the most common zinc-based additive, and is used primarily as an anti-wear agent to prevent premature engine wear. It also provides corrosion and oxidation protection. However, because the zinc and phosphorus found in ZDDP can negatively affect catalytic converters, it has been phased out of motor oil formulations in recent years. Reducing ZDDP content has drawbacks, as classic car owners have found. Older vehicles with flat-tappet camshafts and, in particular, engines that include high-tension valve springs or other modifications that create high contact pressures can suffer premature wear due to reduced ZDDP levels.
Solving the Challenges of Flat-Tappet Cams in Classic Car Engines

Obviously, you're on the internet. Have you ever used the internet other than posting?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom