Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How Red Line Oil saved my ass

Hib Halverson

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
Corvette
71 04 12 19
Ok. This post is not Corvette specific. It talks about the gear lube in stick shift transmissions which are used in Corvettes and lots of other cars, too.

I've used products from Red Line Synthetic Oil Corporation since 1990. I've heard all the "stories" too. The ones from engine builders who tell of oil pump or dry sump failures with the engine "saved" because it was using Red Line Oil. The ones about a few NASCAR teams which are sponsored by major engine oil brands (you know which ones they are because you see their TV ads all the time) but which purchase Red LIne Race Oil in "no-name" five-gallon pails paying cash to a distributor in the southeast because their Crew Chiefs know Red Line's ester-based engine oil can save a motor and turn a DNF into a finish. The ones about engines using Red LIne Racing OIl running at 265° coolant temp and 325°oil temp. I knew about all that, but never really experienced such a situation, myself, until last Saturday…

…the day Red Line Oil saved my ass.

I was in the middle of some major service work on my 116,000-mile, 1999 Blazer. One task was to change the lubricant in the truck's NG3500 five-speed manual transmission transmission. In it, I use one of Red Line Oil's "Light Shockproof" gear lubes. While Red Line markets the Shockproof line (there are three varieties, "Heavy", "Light" and "Superlight") as products for racing and suggest not using them in street applications, I choose to use them in selected high-performance street applications. When I went to my Red Line shelf to get some LSP–oops. I was out of it.

That darn stockboy (that be me) forgot to order the Light Shockproof, so I called Red LIne and ordered a case. Where I made a big freakin' mistake was not putting a post-it on the dash saying "no trans lube".

With the case of oil taking a couple days to ship, I moved on to a host of other tasks which took about three weeks and then, one Saturday, it was time for a road test. I drove to a nearby gas station to stick 20 bucks worth in the near-dry tank. With no obvious leaks and the engine running smooth as silk, I decided to take a short run north on Highway 101. Running about 70-mph, I didn't get far before I noticed the transmission was starting to make noise.

It was then, I remembered that I'd never refilled the transmission. Uh-oh, I thought–I'm majorly screwed.

Even worse was the reason for all this maintenance–a drive trip to Alaska which my Wife and I had been planning for years. We were to leave in a week, so a destroyed transmission would be the kiss of death, not only for our trip to AK, but probably for me, personally, if I had to tell, my Wife, The Fairest Sandra the Red, we're not going to Alaska because I burned-up the truck's gearbox.

I pulled off onto the shoulder and thought about my predicament. I got out my map book and looked. I was about seven miles from the shop. I'd left my cell phone at home so I couldn't call for help. I decided that, if the trans is toast, the damage is already done, so I might as well try and make it back. I headed home at 45 mph. Every time I shifted to fifth, the trans really howled, so I stayed in fourth and continued to drive easy. I made it back to the shop, the transmission whining loudly all the way. I got under the truck and removed the trans fill plug.

Yep. No lube. Oh 2#$t!

I went into the garage, picked a few bottles of Red Line Light Shockproof Gear Lubricant off the shelf, grabbed my trans lube pump and proceeded to fill the transmission. Twenty minutes later, I took a deep breath, started the engine and went for my second test drive of the day.

I was astonished. No trans noise. No hard shifting. No smell of overheated lube. Apparently, the small amount of Red LIne Light Shockproof left in the transmission provided just enough lubrication to prevent the gears from overheating then self-destructing. The next morning, I went for an even longer test, about 50 miles, with no transmission noise, no shift problems, no gear lube smell…nothing. If I'd have been running a typical petroleum-based, trans lube, that five-speed would have at least have been damaged, if not completely fried.

I was a Red Line Synthetic Oil believer before, but now I'm living proof the stuff works, because if it didn't; I'd have been dead at the hands of my Alaska-deprived Wife.

That's how Red Line Oil saved my sorry ass.

Thanks for sharing - do you use this in your vette's?
How does it affect the warranty - if it does?

Good job "Red Line"!

Well I have to say, it's a good story and I see why you put this topic from CC off topic to C3 general overhere. :)

But then. I don't see how you can make this statement when you're only looking at the sound your transmission is making and you didn't check the gears for damage.
And I don't see any stories that other guys with(out) normal oil that fried their transmissions.

So still it's a nice "feel good" story but please keep to the facts I would say. :)

Greetings Peter

Well I have to say, it's a good story and I see why you put this topic from CC off topic to C3 general overhere. :)

But then. I don't see how you can make this statement when you're only looking at the sound your transmission is making and you didn't check the gears for damage.
And I don't see any stories that other guys with(out) normal oil that fried their transmissions.

So still it's a nice "feel good" story but please keep to the facts I would say. :)

Greetings Peter

I put it in this forum because of all the forums on the CAC, this one has the greatest number of readers.

As for facts, what do you think I was talking about? I did not make up that story. If you don't believe it, that's ok, but don't remind me about posting the facts.

As for checking the gears? Waste of time, if there are no symptoms of damage, ie: no noise and no smell of burnt gear lubricant.

Thanks for sharing - do you use this in your vette's?

I only use Light Shockproof in the ZF S6-40 six-speed trans in my 95 Coupe and the Richmond six-speed in my 71 hot rod.
In the two Tremec six-speeds I have, I use Superlight Shockproof.
I use Heavy Shockproof in all my Corvette drive axles.

How does it affect the warranty - if it does?

The Red Line Shockproof series of gear lubricants DO NOT meet warranty requirements, but, in the application discussed above, the New Venture NG3500 five-speed manual, that's not an issue. The vehicle is a 1999 model with 116,000 miles and, obviously, out of warranty.

If warranty requirements are an issue, do not choose Red Line Shockproof. Red Line has other ester-based synthetic gear lubricants which meet warranty requirements. There is more information on the Red Line web site or you can call them and speak to one of their technical advisors.

Hello Hib,

I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'm just saying the "proof" is very flimsy.
I also have read some other tech. articles that you wrote and they have (as far as I can see) good background info and convincing proof.
I know nothing is objective (in a way everything is subjective) but you as a technical writer should be on the objective site.

So I don't have a problem with you writing this but that is why you can get this type of replies because to me it feels like a advertisement. Be carefull that you don't downgrade all the other (good) articles with this one. :)

Greetings Peter

I think the proof is when he returns from the AK trip and tells his tale of how the trip went. re the trans.

Right now, I'm in Fairbanks AK. After 3600 miles--that's up to Dawson Creek, BC Canada then up the Alcan to Fairbanks, the trans in that truck has driven just like it did for the 116,000 miles before I worked on it. Shift quality is the same. No increased noise. No gear grinding. No problems.

There is little doubt that Red Line gear lubricant contributed greatly to my transmission's survival.:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom