Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Break line replacement on a 68..

jims427400

Corvette
67 427 tripower,68 427 tripower,04 Z16, 62 340hp
Do you have to pull the body off to replace all break lines on a 68 vert. If the answer is yes, is there anyone who was able to do it w/out body off..

I guess while I'm at it,I'll ask about the fuel lines as well.

Cars been sitting for over 25 years..

Jim

Replacing the Brake Line

From what I've heard and according to Richard Newton author of "How to Restore and Modify Your Corvette 1968-1982" he says "This is a very serious brake line. It's also very easy to remove. The only problem is that you have to remove the body from the frame to replace the line." He says he ended up lifting the body about 18" off the frame and he would never do it again unless there was fluid running out the rust holes.

It sounds like unless you intend to remove the body from the frame for some other reason, its not recommended.

The fuel line runs on top of the frame in the back.Ive heard some people have jacked up the frame a couple inches to replace the lines but ive never tried it.

Brake lines can be replaced on a C3 without removing the body. Its not the easiest thing to do but it can be done with the body on.

Brake lines can be replaced on a C3 without removing the body. Its not the easiest thing to do but it can be done with the body on.
It's best if served with 3 cases of Bud,and five box's of Band Aids!!!!!:D :D :upthumbs

I know this is an old post but FWIW, I've just done this while replacing my body mounts and thought I'd post my observation.

I don't think you can replace the brake line without at least raising the body up a couple of inches. This is because you cannot get at (2 at least) bolts that hold the brake line clamps on. I raised the body one side at a time to replace my body mounts and it was a no-brainer to do the brake line replacement. What you wanna do is put the rear junction block on first, then insert the brake line (with the junction block already on) thru the frame and then fasten it on with the clip. This way, there is no danger of stripping the threads than if you tried to fasten the brake line to the junction block after. Also, very important, before buttoning up everything (like body mounts, putting back trailing arms etc), put brake fluid in, bleed and test brakes cause you're screwed if you get a leak and everything is done. The fuel line is another matter. I'm in :pukethat process now. It is much harder to put that in cause of the route it takes up the frame in the back and thru the frame behind the door. I'm hoping I can raise the body enough on one side to replace this.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom