Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Brighter Fog Lamp Bulbs

F

firedawg

Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket fog light bulbs available (size 896) that are brighter? I have checked Sylvania's web site and they make the Silver Star's for the headlights, cornering, tail and turn signal lights, but no fog lights.

If not, maybe someone knows of a modification to make them brighter with normal 896's??

Stock are about 35 watt...with some careful searching you can find the 50 watt ones. I did and love the difference...

885 and 886 are both 50w. they are direct fit replacements for stock.

I think the 896 are right angle connectors so you will want the 886 bulbs

I buy all my bulbs from Competition Limited. Here's a link to their "other bulbs " page. They've got 80w 886's... Be careful, though. I've melted stock wiring harnesses in other cars using 30w higher than normal.
[RICHR]

Great article, I didn't realize I would have to re-run the ground, since mine go off automatically with high beams. Also, I think there may have been an error. Chiltons says the stock lamp size is 896 not 880. I'll have to see what I have. If that is the case, does anyone know the direct 50w replacement for the 896?

Firedawg,
I am running 885 bulbs in mine. Much brighter, did not have to increase fuse size.
Former Fireman

Will higher wattage lamps damage the plastic housing and/or lenses? I know that I melted the foglamps on a 1998 Grand Prix by putting higher wattsge lamps in... Hmmm....

So far no problems, ran em several hours yesterday in the rainy weather. I think going from 35 to 50 is not that big of current draw/heat generation increase. I did not even change the fuse to a larger value. And the SilverStar headlights are great.

firedawg said:
Great article, I didn't realize I would have to re-run the ground, since mine go off automatically with high beams. Also, I think there may have been an error. Chiltons says the stock lamp size is 896 not 880. I'll have to see what I have. If that is the case, does anyone know the direct 50w replacement for the 896?

Firedawg, you have the 896 bulb. The Article written by Lars is mostly for the 1989-older C4s. The 1990-1996 have a different wiring scheme for the Driving Lights. the older runs the Dirving light through the High beam.

The Driving lights on the 90-96 are controlled by a relay (better)

so you don't have to cut and remove the ground.

Just checked the fog lamp wiring in my '90 shop manual (page 8A-100-1) The diagram appears to be identical to the one posted by Jeff for the 1991...

From what I can read - the fog lamps have a relay in the circuit - when the high beams are on, the relay opens the circuit and the fog lamps are off. In the 90 - the standard bulbs are 880 (35w) and the upgrade would be 885 (50w).

[I believe the '91 and later use the 896 with the right angle connector in the newer bumper - the '90 and earlier use the 880 with the straight connector in the older bumper]

The manual shows a 15amp taillight fuse in the circuit, so as stated - it probably would work alright with the existing hardware.

As for the heat dispersion and melting of the lens or housing - don't know - hopefully not a problem from what others have said.

I had been putting off upgrading because I didn't want to cut the ground wires as described in the tech article. Now it looks like theres no reason not to upgrade...

FWIW

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom