Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bringing a Vette from U.S. into Canada

G

Grego

I'm looking at bringing a 2003 Vette into Canada from the U.S. Transport Canada's Registry of Imported Vehicles (www.riv.ca) advises that 2003-2007 Corvettes require some bumber modifications to meet Canadian standards.

Here is exactly what they say: "the vehicle in question is admissible for importation but will require modifications to the existing bumper(s) before the vehicle can be registered and licensed. Some vehicles can be readily modified by substituting Canadian parts for the US parts. Some vehicles cannot be readily modified and may require comprehensive and expensive modifications as well as a bumper test, as stated in CMVSS 215, to determine compliance with the Canadian standard".

Does anybody know what the bumber modifications are or how much they cost?

I'm looking at bringing a 2003 Vette into Canada from the U.S. Transport Canada's Registry of Imported Vehicles (www.riv.ca) advises that 2003-2007 Corvettes require some bumber modifications to meet Canadian standards.

Does anybody know what the bumber modifications are or how much they cost?
You could circumvent the whole problem by sticking with a 2002...

Signed,
I'm Just Sayin';)

p.s. "Bumpers on most passenger vehicles are now manufactured to absorb most low speed collisions. The Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (CMVSS #215) requires passenger car (not trucks, vans, or utility vehicles) bumpers to meet minimal criteria to withstand low-speed impacts up to 8 km/h EBS without damage to lights or other sub-structures (Transport Canada, 1989). Vehicles with isolator struts have been tested to this limit. Those with foam core bumpers have usually been tested to 12 km/h without obvious damage. Some have not sustained damage up to 16 km/h [Delta]V (Bailey 1995, 1996). "

From what I've heard for 2003 and 2004 Corvettes, you need to replace the rear impact absorber (the gack that fills the bumper- mostly styrofoam). You should be able to clarify this with CBSA.

Parts and labour est. $1000 CDN but depends on your local bodyshop.

-Mac

From what I've heard for 2003 and 2004 Corvettes, you need to replace the rear impact absorber (the gack that fills the bumper- mostly styrofoam). You should be able to clarify this with CBSA.

Parts and labour est. $1000 CDN but depends on your local bodyshop.

-Mac
But I talked to a guy at the local GM dealership, and he says the absorber is the same part in the U.S. and Canada up until 2005.

But I talked to a guy at the local GM dealership, and he says the absorber is the same part in the U.S. and Canada up until 2005.
I haven't imported a Vette so I'm not 100% certain but I have a friend who imports vehicles regularly. That's what he said when I asked about the double astrix. I would say if your GM dealership is certified to do inspections (proof of inspection is required after importation) they should know what's required.

Although it's certainly possible to import a vehicle yourself, if you're not familiar with the process for importing, you might be better served to hire a broker. They know what papers need to be filed and when.

-Mac

Corvette Import into Canada

I just imported a 2004 C5 from the US into Canada. Simple process and not worth using a broker.
Will require replacement of rear aborber inrear bumper to Canadian standards.
$800 to $1000.
Prior to import you require the Title, Purchase Invoice, and Certificate of Lien Release. Contact your point of export from the US (US Customs) and fax them copies of these documents 72 hours prior to export. When you come across the border they will have a file made up in your name. You produce the original documents for varification and they will check the VIN #. You must do this if you ever wish to return the vehicle to the US.
After this you proceed to the Canadian customs and pay the GST and A/C Tax. Very simple.
Once in Canada you have the dealer replace the rear bumper absorber, complete a provincial inspection. Once done you proceed to Canadian Tire for the Federal Inspection (free) and they will look over you documents and certify your vehicle.
It is easier then bringing in a 2 liter bottle of Bacardi.
Call me for any info you might need.

Thanks, DocJim! I'm glad to hear the process isn't as bad as some have indicated.

Tell me... do you know Lloyd Reynard?

-Mac

Lloyd is busy in your local car scene. His latest Vette was a 78 silver anny (recently sold) and he does the show & shines in a red 65 ChevII w. 283. Nice guy!! Before he moved to Kelowna, Lloyd was active in the car scene here in the LMD.

-Mac

I just imported a 2004 C5 from the US into Canada. Simple process and not worth using a broker.
$800 to $1000.
Prior to import you require the Title, Purchase Invoice, and Certificate of Lien Release. Contact your point of export from the US (US Customs) and fax them copies of these documents 72 hours prior to export. When you come across the border they will have a file made up in your name. You produce the original documents for varification and they will check the VIN #. You must do this if you ever wish to return the vehicle to the US.
After this you proceed to the Canadian customs and pay the GST and A/C Tax. Very simple.
Once in Canada you have the dealer replace the rear bumper absorber, complete a provincial inspection. Once done you proceed to Canadian Tire for the Federal Inspection (free) and they will look over you documents and certify your vehicle.
It is easier then bringing in a 2 liter bottle of Bacardi.
Call me for any info you might need.
I found two things to be a bit tricky. One was the payment for the vehicle. Canadian cheques (even bank drafts and certified cheques) are not guaranteed funds in the U.S. So, the vendor may not be keen to sign over title without the money in his bank. The problem with wire transfers is that they can take up to 3 days to get there. I used American Express Travelers Cheques which are guaranteed in the U.S. The 72 hour notice is also a bit tricky. I sent my documents on a Friday, left California on Monday and took 3 days to get to the border. It was a fun drive. Overall, I'd definitely recommend doing it yourself without a broker.

$800 to $1000.
And the bumper change only cost me $400 at Western Corvette in Calgary.

Incredible waste of time and money to satisfy some ill-considered legislation. It probably relates to some law passed that was intended to force makers to put assembly plants in Canada for vehicles sold in Canada and wasn't meant to apply to low production vehicles like the Corvette.

In most of the USA we would ignore the requirement. However, there are some obnoxious states like CA and AZ that would probably make you show your paper trail at every inspection and emissions test.

I once had a Triumph Spitfire sports car that had to have all of its original emissions equipment left on and then the engine tuned so lean that that it would barely run to pass inspection and admissions. Immediately after it passed the foolish tests, I would remove all of th emissions equipment and retune it so it would run well.

Since I moved to AR 10 years ago, I haven't had anyone check any of my vehicles for anything (except payment of property tax) and if I was really a cheat, I would have all my vehicles registered in Tennessee where it costs
about 1% of what AR gets.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom