Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Broken part, need help

76okievette

Corvette
Early 1976 L-48, 2008 Victory Red
Question about a part I found which appears to be broken, see pictures, its on the front of the engine on the balance weight for the crank shaft??;shrug
I think that is the proper name but not sure, anyway it looks like some kind of snap ring and its broken, not sure how long its been broken but as you can see the top part is still shiney so I am assuming its newly broken. What is this and how fast does it have to be fixed. I don't believe this is some thing I can do so need to know how fast I need to get it to the shop.

its the harmonic balancer thats slipped, common but easy to fix with the proper tool; best go with a new one.

There is a Torsion Damper Removal Tool as well as an installation tool. Definitely go with a new Torsion Damper.

Can I drive the car or is this something that's going to fly apart on me?

Same thing happened on my 77. I didn't know it untill I went for a Smog Check and the Tech said the timing was not correct. It will only be a problem if you try to time it using the marks in the balancer. Best to get fixed soon.

It will only be a problem if you try to time it using the marks in the balancer.
Or the rest of the guts comes out of it and you throw it through the Hood or Radiator!!!!:boogie Get it fixed soon, They don't make scatter Shields for Harmonic Balancers!!!:upthumbs Besides it will throw the engine a little out of balance,And thats not real good on old Main Bearings!!:w:w:w

It just looks like something that should be fixed soon so I am going to talk to the shop tomorrow, any idea what something like that should cost to get replaced?

Cost about $50.00 at auto-zone, leave your Vette parked untill you replace it, and borrow there HB puller. PG.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom