Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bubbles in tranny fluid on dipstick! What gives?

Corvette
2002 Z06
I pulled the automatic tranny fluid blade out of my 95 LT-1 today to check the fluid. Car's got 36k miles and seems to shift just fine. Changed out the transmission fluid about 6 months ago; the fluid level, color and cleanliness all appear to be good at present.

My concern is lots of very tiny bubbles in the fluid on the blade. Anyone know if this is a cause for major concern?

Thanks everybody.

Jeff

If the trans is hot (>200+/-) you will see bubbles. Look in the owner's manual for the level checking procedure. As I recall, it says don't check it hot (many miles in >90 degree weather) but rather do the 'hot' check after driving 15-20 miles only. The bubbles will give a really crazy level reading too.

voorthuist said:
... the fluid level, color and cleanliness
Don't forget, your sense of smell comes in handy too. I always sniff the dipstick when I check the transmission in my truck (my Vette's a 6-speed) to see if it's been subjected to excessive heat; you'll definitely notice a burnt odor. ;)

also run your fingers down the dipstick and feel for metal shavings. and as ken said use your nose and smell if it's burnt.

unfortunatly 4L60E tranny's sucks and blow up pretty easily because the shift points are controlled by the computer. we see this happen in FBody's all the time. add a cooler to the car and that will help keep the heat out of the fluid.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom