Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

buy air car or non air car?

Corvette
1978 L-82 4 speed Pace Car
I am a Marine deployed right now and am looking to buy a 68-74 when I get home.

I want air - should I hold out and buy a car that already has air, or should I buy a non air car if I find one that has the other options I want and install an aftermarket air system?

So the question is, how easy or difficult is it to install the aftermarket systems in a car that never had air in the first place?

Semper Fi,
The Culprit

Culprit,
Welcome to the CAC! :w I don't have experience with aftermarket a/c installation but I'm sure you'll have some answers soon.
May I say THANK YOU for serving our country, and come back home safe and sound! :pat
Tammy

Culprit -- I want air - should I hold out and buy a car that already has air, or should I buy a non air car if I find one that has the other options I want and install an aftermarket air system?

WELCOME & THANK YOU FOR PROTECTING OUR COUNTRY!!!

Dont settle for something you dont want!
It is better to find what you want and spend the time, then to try and "modify" your car later.

A/C install is a pain in the @$$.

Unless you want to keep the VETTE in your garage while you work on it...
I say get a driver with everything you want and be happy.
YOU DESERVE IT!!!

:pat :pat :pat

JASON *** BRAND NEW MAGNECOR WIRES FOR SALE!!! *** 1979 L-82

I would by a car with air. I would imagine,especially in a corvette,that would be a PIA to install aftermarket.
A freind who restores corvettes told be to buy a corvette with AC.
He said even if it didn't work the system would already be in place.

My thoughts and prayers are with you!

Dave

Welcome to the CAC........Buy with air ........:upthumbs

Culprit

I would go with one that has air already in place. Even if you convert it to 134A it is still much easier than starting from scratch. Just buy the best condition car you can afford.

Semper fi
Proud parent of a US Marine
Tom

I think 69MyWay installed aftermarket air in his car and has commented on how cold it can get the car down there in Florida. Perhaps he will read this post and comment on the difficulty and its efficiency as compared to the original air.

Welcome Culprit!

Welcome to Corvette Action Center.

I'd advise buying a vette that already has the system, unless you are pretty handy at doing these types of jobs, it could quickly get expensive.

Come home safe.
Heidi

Buy AC Car, easier to fix than add and it'll be stock.

mike
Semper Fi
USMC
71-79

-AC or not to AC, --that be the question...

-have eight cars, two with Airconditioning, --never feel need to use it here in SanDiego, so its just more damn-junk to go wrong and terribly clutter-up things (unfortunately my C3 has AC, --guess was standard in '80); --but then obviously I'me a minority, the only accessories I covet are pwr.-windows and remote-control/R&L-mirrors, anything else is a detrament to my peace-of-mind... ~Bob vH
;shrug

Get air!

One day I was driving out of Palm Springs and the AC was not working, so I had to drive 110 MPH, as fast as it was hot, to stay cool.

Well got a ticket.

George,

PS we have a '79 for sale with AC that works. :)

Thanks for the advice everyone! I still have time to think about it before I get home and am ready to buy - but I think I'm going to have to go with the majority and hold out for a car with air.

As you can probably tell by the fact that I have internet access right now, I'm not a grunt on the front lines living in a fox hole - but the prayers are needed and appreciated just the same!

Semper Fi,
Culprit

:pat

I wouldn't pass up a good deal on a Non air car if I was you. You can buy a complete after market A/C from Vintage Air Co. that will blow away the original a/c system that is 30 years outdated.

Their systems are complete and can be installed with a little hard work. I don't know too much about installing them and maybe Chris( 69 myway) will chime in as he has done it already. If I remember right a complete system runs about 1200 bucks. Use it as a bargining tool on the purchase price. I dont know where you live but a non air car in Florida ain't worth much so you can dicker around on the price.

Good luck and be safe if you are near Saddams sandbox. I have never been in the military but I think the Marines are the best we have.

Thanks Roy

Culprit,

First of all, thanks for what you and yours are doing for us over there. Secondly, welcome to the CAC!

Now for your question - buy a car with factory A/C, preferably functioning properly. It shouldn't be too tough to find one with air if you stick to the later years in your focus range as from 72 - 74 more had air than not. The older you get in the 68-71 range, the harder it will be to find one.

Best of luck, kick some butt, and come home safely.

By it with air!! Thank you for putting your life on the line to protect the freedom we all enjoy.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom