Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Buyers Beware - ILL.ICEMAN - JIM SABINE

mqqn

Corvette
02 EB Z06 / 99 BLK Coupe
Buyers Beware - ILL.ICEMAN - JIM CADLE III

Hi Folks -

Just FYI and fair warning to my friends here at CAC -

He goes by JIM CADLE III on Z06vette.com and ILL.ICEMAN on CorvetteForum.com.

I bought wheels from this gentleman based on the info in this original quote in the C5 Z06 forum on CorvetteForum....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1028406&page=2
ILL.ICEMAN said:
I HAVE A SET OF CHROME Z06 WHEELS. I HAD THESE CHROMED WHEN I HAD MY FIRST Z AND HAVE NOT HAD THEM ON SINCE 2002.
THEY ARE EXCELLENT .I WOULD SELL THEM FOR 600.00. THEY ARE IN WEST CENTRAL ILL. :smash: :smash:

JIM CADLE III sold me the excellent chrome wheels -

I drove two hours and arrived in Griggsville Illinois at 9:30 pm to pick up the excellent wheels. It was dark, sleeting, and Jim Sabine sent his "secretary" to open his garage to allow mw to view the wheels.

Shame on me - they were very dirty, but Jim had assured me they were perfect - excellent was his written description...so I took them after verifying they are OEM GM rims (they are).

However, after I drove them home (arrived home at midnight) and cleaned one of them up the next day - ooooopps - not excellent at all....

Here are pictures of them (not dial-up safe for detail...) I posted for Jim so that he could see if he wanted to make it right.

http://www.iammoon.com/jim/

You can be the judge - just wanted to let others know that if you do decide to buy from this *gentleman - buyer beware - don;t take his word - look very closely at any item as his stance will be "You took them - I didn't force you".

Email text between Mr. Cadle and myself:

From Jim after I told him the wheels were pitted beyond my ability to use them:
ANDY I AM REALLY SORRY THAT THE WHEELS DID NOT MEET THE SPECS YOU HAD FOR THEM.
I DO FEEL THAT I DID NOT SELL YOU SOMETHING THAT WAS NOT PRICED SO THAT YOU WOULD GET A FAIR DEAL.I KNOW YOU FEEL YOU COULD NOT LOOK AT THEM BUT I GUESS THAT I FEEL I DIDN.T TELL YOU ANYTHING ABOUT THE WHEELS THAT WAS NOT TRUE.
I WOULD SUGGEST SINCE THE WHEELS ARE A GOOD PRICE THAT YOU HAVE THEM RE CHROMED AT A PLACE OF YOUR CHOICE. THIS SOULD GIVE YOU A WHEEL THAT THAT IS LIKE NEW AT A GOOD PRICE.
HAVE A GOOD DAY. JIM

my reply:
Hi Jim -

You told me that the wheels were perfect. You told me "They are perfect - never hit a curb or anything."

I could live with the inside of the wheels being so poor, but the outside is why anyone would want chromed wheels.

I think you might not have known that the wheels were in such poor condition, or you would probably have told me.

However, since you are essentially telling me that I am stuck with them, perhaps you really did know how poor they were and now feel that you found your sucker.

I can buy brand new chrome Z06 rims for $600. Your price was fair - for wheels in good shape, not for the VERY POOR condition these wheels are in.

I do not want these wheels and want my money back.

You should honor that request since you sold me wheels that I cannot use.

If you choose to attempt to stick me with these, I will take action to correct this.

Jim's reply to the above:
I AM SORRY YOU FEEL THIS WAY. I TOLD YOU THEY HAD SET IN THE GARAGE FOR SEVERAL YEARS AND WHEN I PUT THEM AWAY THEY WERE IN GOOD SHAPE.
IT IS TOO BAD YOU DON,T REALIZE THAT YOU SHOLD HAVE INSPECTED THEM AND NOT TAKEN THEM IF YOU DID NOT LIKE THEM.
I DID NOT TELL YOU TO COME IN THE DARK .THE GARAGE HAD LIGHTS. SORRY FOR YOUR MISTAKE. THESE ARE USED WHEELS THAT WERE NEW IN 2001.
AGAIN I AM SORRY BUT I FEEL I DID NOT IN ANY WAY MISLEAD YOU. I ALSO FEEL THAT WRE UNDER NO PRESSURE TO TAKE THEM AND PAY US FOR THEM.
REGARDS JIM

I have since sent Jim my final email - asking what skin it is off of his (butt) to simply take them back.

In reply, Jim (ILL.ICEMAN) had this to say...

Sent: 3/21/2005 10:19:05 AM
To: jim@kmts.ca
Subject: Re: Re: wheels
I REALLY WONDER WHO THE DUMMY IS HERE.OH WELL'

I guess I am kinda stuck with these - just wanted the forum membership to know about old ILL.ICEMAN....

best regards -

mqqn

Man, what a jerk. Those wheels definately need to be refinished. By any chance did you pay him by check or credit card? If so, you could have the bank stop payment and bring the wheels back to him.

All of the suggestions in the world aren't going to remedy what this person did to you. All I can say from personal experience is What goes around comes around. Beleive me this guy will get his and know what? It's always worse coming back than it was going out. Good luck. There is a God who makes sure all debts will be paid.

Too Bad he's not closer to me.... :W :r

74bigblock said:
Too Bad he's not closer to me.... :W :r

thanks 74 -

Actually, I live very close to this guys home town - I drove to get them.

I paid with 6 ben franklins.....

I appreciate the responses - lesson learned I guess -

best regards -

mqqn

Hey, Mqqn, haven't seen you around in a while. Nice to hear from you, but I'm sorry about your experience with the chromed wheel purchase. Your advice about buyers beware is always timely. I hope you can resolve the situation and get your $600 back.

Folks, Mqqn's message here was a simple Caveat Emptor story. Which leads me to a request: while the sale of bad merchandise is always hard to hear, let's not go flaming this Jim Sabine. There's a certain liability associated with libeling someone's character, and if that libeling happens here, CAC could, by association, be partially liable.

If folks start piling on where Mr. Sabine is concerned, this thread will have to be closed. Please consider your response before you hit the "submit reply" button.

-Patrick

Those rims are hammered..:ugh:puke..........Give a chance to make it right, if he chooses not to, remind him of KARMA.

Good luck :beer

Yeah man that is a bummer, but like the first shop that rebuilt my motor twice, acted totally like it was my fault for it going out both times, and actually tried to sue me for it breaking on the second time due to a "fuel" problem with fuel getting in the crank case. Oh well live and learn I guess. It is never good to hear about someone who got shafted, but look at it this way, you have something you can make look good, and it was not to much money.

Patrick said:
Hey, Mqqn, haven't seen you around in a while. Nice to hear from you, but I'm sorry about your experience with the chromed wheel purchase. Your advice about buyers beware is always timely. I hope you can resolve the situation and get your $600 back.

Folks, Mqqn's message here was a simple Caveat Emptor story. Which leads me to a request: while the sale of bad merchandise is always hard to hear, let's not go flaming this Jim Sabine. There's a certain liability associated with libeling someone's character, and if that libeling happens here, CAC could, by association, be partially liable.

If folks start piling on where Mr. Sabine is concerned, this thread will have to be closed. Please consider your response before you hit the "submit reply" button.

-Patrick

Thanks Patrick -

Exactly - Let the buyer beware -

I found out that this guys name is actually JIM CADLE III, and he perhaps has a business named Sabine Biglow.

He goes by ILL.ICEMAN on corvetteforum.com, and JIM CADLE III on z06vette.com.

I just know that Mr. Cadle is trying right now to find someone with a Z06 that would like to trade for his used CTS - I am assuming it is also in excellent condition by his standard.

I check in here as frequently as time allows - always good to hear from my Corvette friends.

best regards -

mqqn

atmmac said:
what a f*cking d-bag.

I'd call him a prick, but that's the best part of a man! if he were any kind of a man, he would make good on the deal, and take those POS wheels back and refund your $$$:r

Thanks for the support, friends.

I truly don't think this guy was "out to get me", but why he turned on me I don't know. I truly was as polite and respectful as I could be - especially considering I did not hear from him for almost a week after I emailed him the pictures. He was "In Las Vegas and sick as a dog" per a phone conversation I had with him.

He did finally acknowledge this situation on the following thread at z06vette -

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?p=855646#post855646

I think his post just reaffirms my warning. You be the judge.

I have just one thing to say to Mr. Cadle...

95a.gif

The rest I will say in small claims court.

best regards -

mqqn

Let us know how you do. Hopefully you knock his d--- into the dirt in court.

Good luck on litigation! Let us know how it turns out.

Jim

What a jacka$$. It's funny how they got so nasty looking at beat up sitting in a garage.........those are some of the most poorly cared for, nasty wheels I have seen in a while, especially for chrome!!! Chrome wheels are so easy to care for.

I bet his cars are POS's!!!!!

I hope it works out for you in litigation.

Rip-off Atrtist For Sure!!!!!

mqqn,

No doubt this guy was a rip-off artist, he definently should be :r at sun rise. Real Corvette people don't treat others this way, his will come someday, these kind have a way of getting it done back to them double!!!!!! If he wasn't out to get you my way of thinking he would have taken them back and refunded the money. . . . is getting them re-done to costly? Are you going to be able to salvage anything out of the deal?

Bill :w

Thanks Folks -

I have an update on this -

A friend of mine who has a 01 QS Z06 has told me that he would buy them for $600...

We took some polish to them and the outsides cleaned up some...

The barrels look terrible, the faces look "good" with many smaller blemishes.

I still would not put them on MY cars, but my friend insists that they will give him the "bling" he is looking for.

He is a good friend, so I want to be VERY cautious in selling them to him
If he decides he doesn't want them after he gets them home, his money will be CHEERFULLY refunded. I will give them to him for $550.00.

I have disussed my legal options with a professional. I might have a case - but a big problem would be serving Mr. Cadle, being his physical location is Ontario CA.

I guess I should be a bigger man and just take the money and run.
I should have looked at them more closely, but Mr. Cadle would have been out nothing if he had just allowed me to return the wheels.

Now that he has shown me his "take the money and run" trait, and I shared it with all of my friends, his reputation was damaged - and that is a shame.

I truly do not think this guy is a rip-of artist. He is likely a friendly fellow. It just seemed out of character for him to just flat out refuse rescinding the deal - over $600 measly bucks. Go figure.

I will post definitively what the ultimate outcome will be - but it certainly appears that my friend will put these wheels on his 01 and my loss will be $40 for a tank of gas and $50 on the wheels.

Thanks again for all of the reassuring support. :) It is appreciated!

best regards

mqqn

For every dark cloud there's a silver lining. Let's think long-term effects and how this post affects the real reason were all here.

I myself apologize that we have a society that really misses out on the bigger picture.

cfour93 said:
...I myself apologize that we have a society that really misses out on the bigger picture.

I'm coming to terms with that issue from another angle, CFour93, but for the sake of our Corvette discussions here in the C5 Forum, I'll confine my bleak and misanthropic commentaries on the decline of societal norms to The Edge Forum. ;squint:

Mqqn, I'm delighted the situation at least has an outlet. I would be happier if we knew the original seller were up for some "investigation," but I guess we can't chose our outcomes to that extent. Good luck, and please keep us appraised if any new developments happen.

-Patrick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom