Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Buying a C5

R

ron

I have finally sold my C4 after a long and respectable ownership. I am in the market for a C5 and think I have found what I feel may be my final Vette. It is a 2000 convertible. Are there any particular issues that I should be concerned with relative to this year and model? I have been reading about rear differentials leaking and iginition wheel locking, etc. Have these been remedied in later models? Having had a number of Corvettes over the years, I can truly say the C5 is a really technolgical marvel. I still the C4 style,however, but the ride, power and sophistication of the C5 really dates the C4. Any help on my puchase options for a C5 would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have owned 2 C5s. I had a '97 A4 coupe, and now own a 2002 Z06. I say buy it and enjoy! I did not experience any more trouble with these cars than most of the other cars that I have owned, and less than some. I liked my first C5 well enough to buy another!

Got my 2000 vert in June and have put about 10,000 miles on so far. Love it! Having a great time with it. Absolutely no trouble with it. Id say buy it and enjoy it.
BTW Van Buren used to be a small town, had a chance to spend some time there with a buddy from "Nam", what's it like now?
Rob

You will not be disappointed, traded my 93 for a 2000/22k. Hated to see it go, but what a great vehicle. It's a Vette so I bought the GMPP warranty for piece of mind.

Not sure how to help with options. I've only put a 1000 on it since June. As far as leaks I went back to the dealer for a tweak, well it was a big tweak. My exhaust snapped at the weld where the muffler meets the cats. It is a Certfied GM Vette, 2500.00 covered by warranty, so I am a fan of that program even though it's only 3months/3000. Anyway the guy in line behind me had a 03 with 6k leaking at the diff. I am considering uping to an 02 ZO6, looked at one today (11k) a dealer just got in and he showed me a small leak on the diff that they were going to fix, so yes that problem is still around.

I like the 6sp, my 91 and 93 were autos. 6 spd and hud were my required items.

The only recurring problem, I've had, has been the steering column lock issue that has been at best troublesome. So far, the last time I took my y2k in, seems to be doing the trick. The y2k has very little vices and is a well mannered sports car.

As they say on speed channel: "Do you need a car like this ?, well maybe not, but do you want a car like the c5 vette, Heck yes". I would buy it again in an instant.

Good luck and enjoy.

Mike

I had a 1999 C5 coupe that was very very reliable. The whole column lock issue was a total non event for me.

happened...brought the car the dealer and he repaired it. Never occured again.

The one thing I would look at with any Corvette is the battery.

The delco battery's often leaked battery acid down into the battery tray and down onto the PCM and all the wiring harness's below.

If it were me? I would suggest checking to see what warranty work was done on any vehicle considering to purchase.

Just give the vin number to a dealership and ask them to run the repair history...

If you see a repair on the battery or any electrical gremlims, I 'd suggest examining inside the passenger side wheel with the wheel well opened and removed.

If you can ask the owner how long ago he replaced the stock battery (if he went to the optima or GM gelcoat)and why he did so.

Watch his face and his answers and straight out..ask him if his battery leaked acid down under..

Just so you know its not always terminal and painful death of a fine car as I know because I had each and every wire harness opened and cleaned as well as all metal and even the casing on the pcm done.

Cost about 3 hours labor and worth every penny.

If this isn't done on a car that had the leaking battery...electrical gremlins will plague the car throughout its life.

Leaking battery's are not a fault of the car..but it happened to enough 1997 to 2000 C5's I thought I would share this with you.

Why GM placed wiring harness and pcm under there is questionable..but then...who plans for a battery to leak?

The 2001 model year at some point changed the type of battery to avoid the potiential of battery acid leakage.

Lots of C5 owners went to optima red or yellow tops prior to having battery acid leakage...some after.

After all this battery acid verbage. Let me say..I wouldn't own another sports car today when a C5 is available.

Its a great car! One with an extended GMPP warranty is a good option as well. Corvette fuel guages..window regulators can be relatively expensive items to replace outside of warranty.

Ken Fitchner offers amazing GMPP pricing if your car is still under its original 36k/36 month warranty.

Consider it a smart way to go and should add to the value of any used car you are considering.

JMO

;stupid Great post by JBsC5. I bought the Optima battery and column lock bypass as preventative medicine. No problems at all.

2000 Corvette

Thanks to all of you for the replies concerning my upcoming purchase. Thanks especially to Mike and JB for the lenghthy and detailed descriptions of potential problems. This car has only 15,000 original miles on it,however, the GM warranty has expired (time). What is a good recommendation for an extended non-GM warranty, or does GM offer the extended warranty for Vettes out of the typical 36 month, 36000 mile warranty? I have some information on a company out of NY state-Warranty Direct. Has anyone dealt with them? Any recommendations any of you have for extended bumper to bumper warranties would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ron

Don't forget to post a pic with your new vette arrives.

We love our 2001 C-5

Do the research. I know I will make that trip to the dealer for the repair history.
But we love our new C-5. This is my wife's car for her 50th birthday, so I am still waiting for day I can get a Corvette.

:v

DSC00011crop_copy.jpg

Hey Ed,
I really like the photo composit. What did you use to do it?
BTW, I love your car. I have the twin to it with a black interior.

new vette

Ed, Beautiful car! My wife will be 50 in May. She sometimes reads postings on this page - I hope she doesn't read this one!

Ron

C_Dogg said:
Hey Ed,
I really like the photo composit. What did you use to do it?
BTW, I love your car. I have the twin to it with a black interior.
:cool
Photoshop 5.0 and Sony 5.0 Digital cam.

One last recommendation, get a carfax report on this vehicle. Make sure that the car has been well maintained and is in good condition before purchase. I completely agree with JB the two major problems have been associated with the column lock and delco battery. Another complaint has been with the AC drain tube not draining, instead it's drained onto the computers.

Other weird problems include, when in neutral, the car sounds bad. Thats minor and has been explained in many prior posts. The other problem is that if the car has been raced, the roller bearings can lose their bearing, pun intended. Finally, oil usage can be a problem due to the piston design. Again, if the car has been driven hard, these problems will arise.

Would suggest getting the warranty as that there was one person who bought a c5 with 7k miles and a 500 horse engine. He blew the clutch and tranny the next day. Me thinks that the car was driven 7k miles, 1/4 mile at a time.

The c5 is by far the most solid car I've ever driven. But it needs to be respected for it's capabilities. It will do more than any other car I've driven. Everyday and in almost any situation.

If the car has never been driven in the rain, always garaged, never seen snow, then that is an owner just like me. A person who appreciates both the art and the engineering that went into that vehicle.

I wish you many smiles per mile.

Mike

I have some information on a company out of NY state-Warranty Direct. Has anyone dealt with them?

I have Warranty Direct for my 2000. Cost was +/- $1,000 with full B>B coverage and $100 deductible. They have a program that allows for 1/2 up front, the remainder over 10 months with no interest.

I've used it twice with absolutely NO problems, except a percieved one from the dealer.

WD does not cover "diagnostic time" and since it did not show on the repair ticket as a specific line item, my sus****ion is that this is a Dealer profit item.

WD paid over $1400 for the two visits that cost me $200, + the "diagnostic" charge of $140 +/-

It would have cost just a little more, but I think I'd purchase the no deductible plan if I were to do it again.

One thing to look for in any aftermarket warranty is "portability" . Florida treats these programs as Insurance not warranties and therefore requires all companies offering the product to meet specific financial and insurance regulatory requirements. WD is registered in a large number of states under similar requirements. Many aftermarket warranties are not portable to other states. Therefore if you were to relocate, you might be out of luck.

Enjoy your new ride!

Tom

Ron,

I would purchase a 2002 C5. I currently have a 2002 Vert and it is nice and I have not had any problems. At the end of this year, I am going to move up to my next C5.....2004 Medium Spiral Gray - Coupe.:dance

C5 "home at last"

I finally ended up with a 2000 Sebring Silver Convertible. 15 ,000 miles and everything but the 12 disc CD changer. I guess I can probably find one on e-bay or one of the after-market vendors. The car was delivered to me on Monday (9/29). What a car! I really enjoyed my C4, and it was trouble-free, but this car is absolutely AWESOME! Like night and day! I just finished reading All Corvettes Are Red (except mine) and I would recommend the book to any C5 owner of anyone who is interested in Vettes. And to think the Corvette was in imminent danger of being discontinued is almost unthinkable. The work that has gone into the R &D certainly is evidenced by performance and handling. Just think there is a C6 yet to come next year. I hope I won't be tempted, but one never knows about this fever thing. Thanks to all of you for the great feedback and timely advice. As always, you just can't beat the CAC for all the information necessary. Eureka Springs this weekend!

Ron

CONGRATULATIONS RON :beer :beer :beer

You're going to have a wonderful time with that new ride.

:Steer

Tom

Congratulations Ron,

Have a great time in the new ride. There is nothing like a vert.

Rob

Congrats from me, too, Ron!

I hope that it is everything you want it to be, and I hope it runs well for you. I'm loving my 2000 Coupe, even though it has 4x the mileage of yours! That's great to have gotten one with that low mileage. Enjoy!

Fred

P.S. Highly recommend adding that 12-disc changer! I wouldn't be without mine now... :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom