Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Buying a "vette"

Highway Man

Corvette
1992 Black on Black Coupe
Every now and then someone will put forth the question about buying a used vette-what to look for and what to avoid. I don't know if this will be of any interest to anyone but I will share with those who are what I do/did before I bought my 92 blk/blk coupe. This is what I do whenever I get ready to buy any car or about anything for that matter. I will decide what I would like to have and whether it will suit my needs/desires. I do my research. I get on the internet and I look at any articles both good and bad regarding a particular model. Lets face it some models just have more bugs than others and unless a person has the mechanical expertise to do the work themselves or the money to pay someone else to do it some models are best avoided. Then again one of my beliefs is that anything mass produced is going to have some good ones and some bad ones if nothing else because of the human error factor. When I feel like I have armed myself with enough information I go shopping. Before I bought my 92 I couldn't tell you how many vettes I looked at and I mean I went through a bunch of them. When I first saw this car I wasn't drawn to it. It seemed okay but I have learned not to make a heat of the moment purchase. The more I did my research though and talked to sellers and asked questions I began to get a "feel" of not only the condition of the car but the character of the person selling the car and whether they struck me as someone who took care of the car or someone who neglected even simple maintenance because they didn't want to be bothered. I talked to someone who let their dog sleep in their vette. I have nothing against dogs for all you dog lovers but I don't want to buy a car that's been used as a doghouse. My philosophy is that if small items that needed repair have been neglected then how can you be sure that the big items have been addresed? Unless of course the seller can provide you with documentation. After talking with the owner of the 92 I bought and spending some time talking about the car and evaluating just what type of person I was dealing with it was time for a drive. Oh by the way. Look at the condition of the shop/garage where the car has been kept. That will speak volumes about the seller. This is not always true but it can be an indicator. This sellers shop was swept and clean. There was not a lot of junk laying all around and he was working on his bass boat which was also in very good condition. He was doing some maintenance on it. The moment I got in the car fired her up and did a test drive I knew that this was the one. My wife was with me and she felt the same way. Now some of you may say "you bought a 92?" Don't you know about the opti-spark and the water pump? Which seems to be the main issue on this car. Yeah I know but I have decided to make replacing the water pump a regular maintenance item on this car and not wait until it goes out and takes the opti-spark with it. No more than I drive it will be awhile before I need to replace tha water pump again. I agree with those who say buy the newest model you can afford if you can afford it but also buy what you like. I like the style of the C4 and the dash layout has a lot to do with whether or not I like a car. After owning this car for three weeks I can say that there have been no "surprises" but the car has performed very well and has met all of my expectations. Now I get to have the fun of tweaking the car even more and making a good car even better. Am I having fun? You bet your sweet bippy I am and it all begins by not getting in too big a hurry and doing the work to find the "right one". Happy trails!:w

I know that people tell you "buy the newest lowest mileage you can afford", I'm not sure that is the best choice either. You do have to 'feel' right about the car and it sounds as though you really felt right with this one. I wouldn't worry too much about the opti, with my 94 I preempted the opti problem like you are planning. I decided to replace the water pump and opti when I swapped out the seals on the front timing cover...all GM new parts.....within 1500 miles I started having problems and I kept saying "it can't be the opti, it's brand new.....well in the end, it was the opti cap. So I would tell you this.....if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Congrats on the purchase, post up some pictures and more details about the new black beauty.:w

Research, observation, evaluation... all these factors play an important role in the quest for a Vette - in the search for any used vehicle, in fact. I recently looked at a Midyear (I passed on it by the way) and I was able to ask intelligent, pointed questions based on the knowledge I've gained here on this website.

I even asked a few questions that I already knew the answers to test the seller's knowledge and honesty. ;)

I always suggest those looking to buy check out the CAC Tech Center and the CAC Model Center for a boatload of info. I also suggest they print out a copy of the CAC Corvette Buyer's Checklist to serve as a reminder of the questions to be asked and answered at a time when the brain is not working at a hundred percent due to Corvette Fever. :L

An informed buyer makes for a happy owner.
:wJane Ann

Great responses

These are great responses and I believe this is the kind of information guidelines that will help others become happy buyers instead of disappointed buyers. Corvettes are great cars but they are only as good as the person who has owned them. Here are some pictures of my baby. I hope you enjoy them.:w These pictures were taken at Lake of the Ozarks in central Missouri. The paint is original and for an eighteen year old car I think it still looks pretty good. The interior is in even better shape and almost looks new. I'm getting around 25 mpg give or take a few. The seller not only provided me with a lot of maintenance records they even provided me with a carfax report. That might be something potential buyers could ask sellers to provide for them. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Attachments

• SUNP0320.jpg
    SUNP0320.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 94
  • SUNP0319.jpg
    SUNP0319.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 94
  • SUNP0318.jpg
    SUNP0318.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 85
  • SUNP0317.jpg
    SUNP0317.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 82
  • SUNP0316.jpg
    SUNP0316.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 88
She looks pretty good there! I think that it is hard to beat the looks of the C4. Is it a auto or stick?

Equipment

She looks pretty good there! I think that it is hard to beat the looks of the C4. Is it a auto or stick?

It is an auto which works very well for me due to the fact that I recently took a fall and ruptured the achilles tendon in my left leg. Talk about hurt-wow! Anyway it is healing and I will be okay. The car seems to have just about all the bells and whistles and everything is working as it should. The previous owner installed a new cd/radio and speaker setup which sounds really good. There is nothing like cruising down the asphalt slab listening to your favorite tunes. I am planning on being at the cruisefest this next year so maybe I will get to meet some of you. I am looking forward to it already. You all have some great looking wheels too!:thumb

Good advice.
I can only add is look for a reason NOT to buy. Like being used as a dog house.
There is always a reason to buy:
I like the color.
It's the year I want.
It's a stick/automatic.
etc.

Good looking car:)

Inquiry

I know that people tell you "buy the newest lowest mileage you can afford", I'm not sure that is the best choice either. You do have to 'feel' right about the car and it sounds as though you really felt right with this one. I wouldn't worry too much about the opti, with my 94 I preempted the opti problem like you are planning. I decided to replace the water pump and opti when I swapped out the seals on the front timing cover...all GM new parts.....within 1500 miles I started having problems and I kept saying "it can't be the opti, it's brand new.....well in the end, it was the opti cap. So I would tell you this.....if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Congrats on the purchase, post up some pictures and more details about the new black beauty.:w

Just so I get this straight. Based on your experience do you think I am better off just leaving the water pump and opti along as long as they are both working properly rather than replace the water pump and possibly open a can of worms? I can certainly see where you are coming from. I have already bought a water pump but I guess I could hold it in reserve until I actually need it. I also planned on replacing the thermostat and coolant hoses also. Sounds like one of those 6 of one/half a dozen of the other type scenarios. :W

Thanks

Good advice.
I can only add is look for a reason NOT to buy. Like being used as a dog house.
There is always a reason to buy:
I like the color.
It's the year I want.
It's a stick/automatic.
etc.

Good looking car:)

On my 93 I had found coolant on the crossmember. The w/p rear seal and most of the bearing balls were gone but it was working fine with no noise and only a slight drip. Opti was still ok but I replaced because I was already in that deep and it was probably the original with 155k miles. I still drove it for a while with the leak.
If all is working ok I would leave it alone unless you have a burning desire to get the wrenches out.

I would say, you have decide whether or not to go ahead and do it. I'm a preventative maintenance type of guy....thinking I would be preventing problems and ended up with them anyway. You're right 6 in one hand and a half dozen in the other. But if it were me, I wouldn't mess with the water pump. Change the hoses and thermostat, but I wouldn't mess with the other stuff until it started giving you trouble.

Oh make sure you cover the opti as best as you can when you pull the hose off the WP it will spill all over the opti.

Thanks

I would say, you have decide whether or not to go ahead and do it. I'm a preventative maintenance type of guy....thinking I would be preventing problems and ended up with them anyway. You're right 6 in one hand and a half dozen in the other. But if it were me, I wouldn't mess with the water pump. Change the hoses and thermostat, but I wouldn't mess with the other stuff until it started giving you trouble.

Oh make sure you cover the opti as best as you can when you pull the hose off the WP it will spill all over the opti.

Thanks to Tom, Kenny, and anyone else who decides to chime in on this one. Based on your experience I think I will hold off on changing the water pump just yet but will keep an eye out for any suspicious drips or that tell-tale smell of anti-freeze. When I was checking the car out before I bought it I looked it over real good to see if there were any leaks or drips both under the hood and under the car. I also checked out the floor of the shop where the car was kept and there wasn't any spots/stains there either. After having bought the car and putting a few hundred miles on it I still see no drips or signs of leaks so maybe I'm going to be good for awhile. Thanks guys I do appreciate the feedback. :thumb I do think though that I am going to pursue putting a drain line on the bottom of my existing water pump so if it does go south on me I have a little protection in place for the opti.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom