Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Buying an 81Hi All,

scrasm

Corvette
81 Grey/Blue Two Tone
I have been wanting to buy an '81 for a while because I love the style and look. I found a car, and realized I know nothing of the history of this particular year. I found a two tone (grey/blue) with only 15,000 miles. The car looks immaculate and is all original and garage kept. It even has the original tires.

Here's my question, Are there any particular issues I should look at in the pre-inspection? Are there issues that 81s are notorius for?

I appreciate any feedback you can provide. I realize I'm asking the choir, but I would like to know a little more about the vehicle I'm considering.

Thanks,

Steve

I love mine! You can pretty well bet that it will leak when it rains (as do all C3s), but I think the '81 was the quintessential shark. God bless, Sensei

Hi, Steve and welcome to the Corvette Action Center!

You're in luck! We've got some great '81 owners here and in fact, one of our Admins owns an '81.

While you're waiting for responses to your post, you might want to check out the 1981 Model page in the CAC Tech Center. Click Here!

There's also an excellent checksheet to print out and carry along with you while you search for the right Vette. It's located in the CAC Tech Center also under Buying a Corvette. Click Here!

Good luck! Keep us posted and don't forget - we need to see pix when you buy the right one!

:wJane Ann

Here's my question, Are there any particular issues I should look at in the pre-inspection? Are there issues that 81s are notorius for?

I appreciate any feedback you can provide. I realize I'm asking the choir, but I would like to know a little more about the vehicle I'm considering.

Thanks,

Steve

YES!!!!They are notorious for sheer enjoyment and FUN!!!!!!
welcome to CAC!!! :CAC
enjoy the forums!!!!!!!!!
there will probably be a few issues but with a vehicle of this age it is expected...nothing serious though...

I have been wanting to buy an '81 for a while because I love the style and look. I found a car, and realized I know nothing of the history of this particular year. I found a two tone (grey/blue) with only 15,000 miles. The car looks immaculate and is all original and garage kept. It even has the original tires.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve.... being you are from Miami, and I can assume the car has been in S.Fla for some time; I would definitely pour over that car and check for RUST before I got too excited. 15K miles is REAL low for a 27 year old car. Look for leaks too. If the tires are original likely so is everything else (rubber). Take it one step at a time. See if the owner would let you take it to an independent mechanic of an overview. It sounds like you might have yourself a gem here.

Good luck.............. nut

I lucked out when I got my 81. Though poorly kept up, it ran well enough to pass a tough Massachusetts inspection. The computer / carb / trans are the focal points. If you found one that has these all intact and working properly you can't beat it for all around cruising fun.

Hi Nut,

Actually the car is from Minn. South Florida can be tough on cars!

Thanks for the feedback everyone! The inf, and checklists are very helpful.

Steve

Welcomed aboard, Steve!

It is always a treat to welcome new Corvette owners, and even more so when they are or could be L81 owners.

We have had a re-awakening in the L81 culture, and here there are some of the most knowledgeable L81 owners you'll be hard pressed to find anywhere else.

Like Jane Ann said, Bud a.k.a. Rare81 has been a real "play-maker" on the advance of this little L81 corner. When there was no L81 information in the early second decade of the Internet, Bud established a website for L81 information. In my eyes he was a true "savior", for his http://l81vetteregistry.com/ is the leading website on L81 tech. We're fortunate to have him and for him to join forces with Rob, the CAC Administrator (http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/announcement.php?f=165)

Welcomed Aboard! :upthumbs

Being a two tone car Id bet its a bowling green car.81 vettes are a great car and im sure youll enjoy yours!

Thanks for the information everyone. I bought the 81 today! I look forward to driving it around town!

Steve

He is the picture from the dealer. Better than I could take!

Steve

Between the end of 1984 and the first half of 1985, I was looking at a lot of Vettes, and I went to this Vette dealership in Hayward, California (Corvette Ed's?:confused), and they had one with the top half in blue, and the bottom in silver, with the silver interior...what a beauty it was. This one, reminds me of that other one I saw, and it is superb looking and a beauty too. :beer

Nice color combo, Steve! :w

Mine only had 42k when I picked it up last summer ('06). The biggest problem I found (there are lots of little ones...the car is 26, after all) was the dry rot in most of the rubber bushings. There was also a leak in the power steering valve and cyclinder...didn't see much on the garage floor, but it was really noticable when the car was on a lift. Discovered it kept the alignment from being much good for any time. Fixed the leak, and the car keeps its front-end alignment much better (not to mention the neat improvement in drivability).

Still have a few more bushings (mostly rear end) to go.

...Here's my question, Are there any particular issues I should look at in the pre-inspection? Are there issues that 81s are notorius for?

C3BuyersGuide-1.jpg

Good reading here. Worth the price of a copy. It'll answer your questions about 81s. There were no factory gray/blue cars. Your car should be silver and blue. Check the trim tag for codes 33U and 38L.

:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom