Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Buying First Corvette! What to look for?/Speedo Question.

C-3_Joshua

Corvette
1982 Black T-Top
I'm buying my first corvette at the end if this month... A '79-'82 C-3 of course! I've narrowed it down to three cars and will be test driving them within the next two weeks. I've been all over this sight and done as much research as I think I can do. I'm very excited. I have the check list ready that Corvette Action Center has provided. (Which is awesome! Thank you CAC.) As well as what they are worth and what are rip-offs. Since this is my first, I'm wondering if there is any sage advice on what to watch out for other than what is on the check list, etc. Sounds? Small leaks? Feel of the drive? Anything? She will be driven a lot and care for even more.Also, I can't seem to find out why some of the speedometers go up to 85mph and others go to 140mph. Why is that and it is something I should watch out for.... I've been known to hit 95mph on an occasion. :)I look forward to the attending shows and being a part of this community. My boyhood dream is about to come true!!!! Thanks for any advice you can pass on.Many thanks!Joshua

I'd pay most attention to the frame and birdcage--rust/damage. Then look closely at the body. Motor and mechanical items are a constant source of repair/replacement anyway, so I'd look for a more sound car then one with just good mechanicals.

Don't forget that C3's are more than a car, they're a lifestyle--and what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.
C01d.jpg

1st,Welcome to CAC!!!!
2nd...the 85 MPH speedo was factory the 140's are aftermarket(Not there's any thing wrong with that).also,be sure to check the weatherstripping are they worn??? if so they will need to be replaced before to long.check the frame for rust has it sat on a lawn for any length of time,also look down near the floor and vents area for rust,an indication that the birdcage MAY be rusting...how's the carpeting,seats,interior ect.....does it have any sound/heat barrier under the front carpeting...
I'm sure others will also have suggestions
Good Luck with it!!!!

Dream coming true!

Welcome to CAC! As you, my dream came true just a few short years ago with my first car I've ever owned in my life! All Trucks up till now! I, like yourself, did plenty of reasearch and talked with a lot of Corvette folks. I ended up buying a completely restored L-48 80'. New paint, interior, new tires, etc. I bought it at a Corvette Expo in Sevierville,TN. My advice is this......Corvettes are expensive to work on, so dont buy a "project" I put $1500.00 initially into going thru everything in the motor, trans, brakes, etc. Which I probably would have done anyways! I can say in the long run I was better off to buy one that had a great paint job and interior and drove good. Get on a corvette parts website and see what some off this stuff costs! I feel I paid a fair market value and didnt buy a money pit! I have never neglected the investment I made and even though I only bring her out once or twice a month, owning a Corvette is the single most greatest thing I have done!(except marrying my wife, if she reads this!) Enjoy your time with your "Dream", they are head turners everywhere you go, and of course, make sure it is RED!

Enjoy my friend!
TNTRUCKGUY

PS: The 85mph speedo is 80' and up! Use your GPS for speed.........

Don't know if you've seen this, it may give additional info for your hunt:

Mechanic's Checklist
Mechanic's Checklist Part Two
Mechanic's Checklist Part Three

Get the car you want on a lift for inspection. Get in there with the tech guy and see it for yourself. More than likely, you'll be spending some $$ on repairs/updates. So get one that makes you happy and has the least amt of compromises.
Good Luck-
:beer

This is all beyond helpful! Thank you all very much. I look forward to updating this thread with pictures of my new car. Tha is again!

Good luck with your purchase, "Joshua C3".

Welcome to the Corvette hobby and welcome to the CAC.

See if you can find a copy. I've heard it may be out of print. Good reading. Covers all C3 model years.
C3BuyersGuide.jpg

Good luck with the hunt.

:thumb

Black Book

I looked for a copy of corvette buyers guide for c-3's.
Outta print as suggested and Amazon was asking allot of money for a used copy.
I purchased a used copy of the black book covering my years of interest.
We'll see what it has to help me Id the cars originality.
Thanks for the suggestions, I welcome any additional info.
The check list was beneficial as well.
:cool!:
Marshal

I looked for a copy of corvette buyers guide for c-3's.
Outta print as suggested and Amazon was asking allot of money for a used copy.
I purchased a used copy of the black book covering my years of interest.
We'll see what it has to help me Id the cars originality.
Thanks for the suggestions, I welcome any additional info.
The check list was beneficial as well.
Marshal
Welcome to CAC!
I checked and couldn't believe the price on that guide either! Must be in demand for those prices.
The .net is full of good reading on the subject, and vids as well.
Check U-Tube out.
Here's a couple links:
How To Buy A Corvette
Corvette C3 Stingray, Buying Guide
Corvette Buyers Guide, 1953-1967 - Google Books
And reading thru restoration guides can yield some good info as well.
Good Luck :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom