Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

buying new 2002 - opinion on color

M

Mr. Munson

I might be picking up a new convertible tomorrow. The dealer only has pewter with black top available. I'm not crazy about the color. It seems like a classy color but not a sporty color. It has the selective real time damping but does not have the performance 3:15 axle. Does the 3:15 rear gear really make a difference?
Any opinion?

this doesn't sound like...

...a solicitation for opinions on color choices...
More like a :booty (rear end) decision! :L

Why does the dealership have such a small selection to choose from? Can you go to a different dealership and get the color and options you want? If I were purchasing a brand spanking new vette, I'd not 'settle' for something other than what I want just because the dealership doesn't have a good selection.

Maxie Price here in GA has a HUGE selection! I think you may want to find a dealership that carries more vettes for a better selection.
Good luck with your purchase.
Heidi

Look'in for Vette

Dealers around here have almost nothing left in stock. I checked dealers within 100 miles and still did not find much. I can probably live with the color. I'm more concerned with performance. That’s why I was also asking about the 3:15 rear gear.

The 3.15 does make a big diff. in performance. I can tell witch one has it just by driving it. Listen to Heidi. :)

I wouldn't settle for a color "you can live with". That sounds like a formula for daily disappointment every time you see your car.

My 2002 coupe is Light Pewter and I get quite a few people commenting on how beautiful it is. It was the only color choice for me.

The 3:15 axle not only provides more twisting power at the rear wheels under full acceleration, but it adds two elements you may not have considered: 1) noise, 2) lower gas mileage. 3:15 Vettes are louder on the road by virtue of increased engine RPM across the power band., but they do get up to speed quicker. If your driving plans include lots of Interstate trips over long distances, I'd skip the 3:15.

Personally, I'd wait for a 2003 at this stage in the production cycle. You may not get as good a price, but you could get the new MagneRide or Selective Magnetic Ride Control system which far surpasses the current electro/mechanical Selective Real Time Damping system. And get the exact color combo you want.

You've waited for this car. Maybe waiting a bit longer is just the ticket.

Best of Luck

I like the magnetic red for the convertables !

Mr M
Most of the dealerships around here have one left at best. Most don't have any. Even used ones. Les Stanford (The covette king) is the only one around that always has a good selection. The pewter IS a classy color especially with the black top. It was my number one choice until I really started looking at the Millenium Yellow. One thing for sure....Do NOT SETTLE for anything that you don't want. Color, options, etc. If you do, you will always say in the back of your mind..."I could have had. . ." I have heard good and bad for the magnetic ride. Just get the car that YOU want. One car will be calling to you if you listen. :D

Scott

Check out my introdution post

I waiting forever to be able to own one, new/used/or otherwise!

I went to dealerships here and was told that if they didn't have my color/option choice instock, I'd have to wait 90 days...

Well, I went straight to the autotraderonline.com site and search my general area. Then I search So. California, then California, then Cal/AZ/NV area and so on until I finally went nationwide. My search lasted 2 months until I found the EXACT car I wanted.

Never settle for your hearts desire! I get so many compliments on my color combo (who doesn't in a 'vette?!) but mainly from other 'vette owners...I love it and will never regret waiting...

Like the teen sex ad says "TRUE LOVE WAITS!" :love

Mr. Munson..... Have you tried Kerbeck Chevy outside Atlantic City?? Do not settle!!:r Get what you want even if it means waiting or traveling to get it..

IIRC, this is the last year for pewter. The axle does make a difference, however.

I'm waiting

Yes, I decided to wait for the 2003's. I'm told 2nd week of August. I suppose everyone is right. I shouldn't settle for something that I don't like, especially something that costs $55,000. Just have to wait 8 long weeks.

I agree with all of the above. Wait for exactly what you want, color, tranny, axle, or what ever. Believe me I have waited for about 25 years or so, and I am not going to settle for anything less than what I want. Hopefully that will not keep me from ever owning one. Good thing is what I want is somewhat popular, so it will not be that tough for me. I can not wait till that day comes either. Man I am getting excited just thinking about it. Good luck in what ever you decide to do. Bottom line, your the one that has to be happy and pay for it.

From the above website:

Pewter/oak/oak 1SC MX0 G92 B84 QF5 V49 Z51 $53,750 (last Pewter Vert)

All I know is what I read in the pr stuff. Of course, it would be an easy decision to reverse....

I have an 2001 with 3.15 gears and it does make a difference. On a cool day 140mph comes quickly, to a Mustangs surprise!! The gas milage is not a issue. I get 20.5 avg city ( yes there is alot of hiway and yes I do get on it ) and I got 25.5 from Houston to Dallas at 75-80 mph avg. As for the sound I have Z51 , EMT , & 3.15 gear so mine is load any way , that is why there is a Bose , just turn it up!!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom