Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C-1 Dual Quads

Bwmurph

Corvette
'59 Blk/Red, '12 Crystal Red GS
Does anyone out there have a detailed, clear picture of how the carb linkage for the 270 HP ('59) should look ? I'm having some (more) trouble with these carbs.

First, I've noticed that I've got at least one leak on the pass side of the rear carb. Can't really tell whre it's coming from but's it's i about the middle of the carb and toward the bottom. COuld this be caused by the floats being set to high ? There may also be a small leak on the driver side front of the the same carb.

Second, I don't think I'm getting WOT with the rear (primary) carb, either. That's why I'd like to see somebody's picture of a working set of 2 x 4's.

Third, if I decide to throw in the towel on getting these things to run right, who's a good guy to send them to for a rebuild ? How much can I expect to spend ?

Thanks for any and all help,

Bernie O.

Barnie

JohnZ just sent me a pic of the correct linkage adjustment on this for you. I just emailed it to you so check your email.
hope it helps.

BTW, did you find anything with those two screws on the side of the carb I mentioned to you earlier and whether or not your floats are set too high or stuck?

Barry

Barry and John Z,

Thanks for the quick reply; I do appreciate the picture (I actually have that around here somewhere in one of the early repair manuals I have.) I have the linkage set in the correct holes (well, almost; I did have the spring for the primary carb in the bottom hole, where it should be in the smaller, middle hole; problem corrected)

However, I'm more interested in how the linkage is set up where all the throttle body shafts connect together via a series of cams and tabs. I'm not sure if I'm using the correct terminology, but maybe this picture will help. It's how the carbs are currently set up.

Well.............that didn't work; can't figure out how to get the picture on here. Barry, maybe I'll send it to you and you can post for me ???

Been a long day and don't feel like getting P***ed at the computer; the last thing I did was drop my droplight on the fender and put a big ding in it. THat kind of seals the deal on getting it repainted !

Thanks,

Bernie O.

However, I'm more interested in how the linkage is set up where all the throttle body shafts connect together via a series of cams and tabs. I'm not sure if I'm using the correct terminology, but maybe this picture will help. It's how the carbs are currently set up.Thanks,

Bernie O.

Bernie, that arrangement is the secondary throttle lockout system - it prevents the secondary throttle plate from opening when the choke is engaged; when the choke opens fully, the plate is free to move.

The best reference for overhaul and the details of the WCFB's and all their detail adjustments is the 1961 Passenger Car Shop Manual; also contains the detail info on most of the other common components that aren't covered in the C1 ST-12 Manual. It's available from the NCRS on-line store at www.ncrs.org.

:beer

Thanks Barry; one of these days I'll figure out how to post a picture. Thought I had it, but it told me it was to big a file for the forum (???)

Anyway......John Z or anyone else: Is this the way it's supposed to look ? I'm particularly interested in the area to the right of where the spring attaches. Where the choke linkage bar connects to the throttle body cam. Does all that look correct ?

Thanks

Bernie O.

Wow, John, you are wayyyy too fast for my too slow typin' fingers !!!

Thanks for the info and the link; I'l check it out and likely order it.

Now on to more problems or symptoms with these carbs: While fooling around with it today I notice that the leak seems to be coming from the throttle plate shaft on the pass. side of the car.

I began to spray some brake cleaner in the area to clean off some of the gas stain. I immediately notice a change in RPM and shortly after a lot of white smoke out of the exhaust.

Now it gets really scewy: I can go along with the above. Then I sprayed the cleaner directly on the intake manifold in the area between the #6 cylinder runner and the crossover runner. Again, an immediate change in RPM and lots of white smoke. Is my manifold cracked ?? It sure doesn't look like it with the naked eye (and I looked long and hard at it), but I can't think of anything else that would do this. I do have a spare manifold, so I may have to try it out, but any insights in to what's happening here would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bernie O.

Anyway......John Z or anyone else: Is this the way it's supposed to look ? I'm particularly interested in the area to the right of where the spring attaches. Where the choke linkage bar connects to the throttle body cam. Does all that look correct ?

Thanks

Bernie O.

Yup, looks good to me - here's a close-up photo of that area on the same carb, fresh out of a meticulous restoration. :)

carb8crop.jpg

Wow, who did the resto ? And how much ? I might be interested ! Looks quite a bit nicer than mine.

Another thing I noticed on mine is that the linkage plates (don't know correct terminology) where the springs and linkage bar (from firewall) attach appears to be angled slightly; or is mine just bent. THis in on both the primary and secondary carb, but more noticeable on the primary.

Bernie O

IF you don't mind, who did the resto and how much ? I may be interested in sending these things out to get checked out and refurbished and I sure do like the way that thing looks.

Thanks,

Bernie O.

That carb is from the "Rex" project car my magazine did with Paragon - I think Paragon had the carbs restored by Bob Kunz in St. Louis - he's the "guru" for WCFB's; (314) 845-2566.

The symptoms you describe indicate a worn throttle shaft hole in the baseplate that needs to be bushed; the other symptom could simply be a deteriorated intake manifold gasket (assuming the intake bolts are all properly torqued).

I recently had a Holley done by Bob Kunz. Even though I didn't go for the full color restoration it is still better than it was when it was new. Bob machines everything to a higher degree of detail than you will ever get on a production line.

If you need more pictures I can post anything you need. I have 2 of these sets around here.

Thanks John; yeah, I remember "Rex". Really nice set of articles. Liked the color too, although I AM partial to black/red.

That's what I was thinking (and afraid of); that it was the throttle shaft or the hole that was worn. gasskets are all fairly new; I rebuilt the carbs myself last year (only about 600 - 700 miles since then) and did what I think was a "decent" job, then this problem cropped up. Guess I'll get in touch with Mr. Kunz and see what he has to say ($$$ !).

Thanks again,

Bernie O.

Thanks for the info Tom; I've heard good things about Mr. Kunz, so I guess that's the route I'm going to take. I'm thinking I should get on the stick and get these things to him as he probably gets overwhelmed with stuff during the winter months.

Bernie O.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom