Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C-4 Coupe top????

mcdvette

Corvette
1966 Coupe
I have been contemplating a purchase of a C-4 (90-96) and had a question regarding the coupe model. My wife likes convertibles and I prefer the coupes. I was told it was not a good practice to drive a coupe without the top in place due to body flex, especially the ZR-1 and LT 4 models. Is this statement true or just a misconception? Any information on this subject would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

Mike -

There are some owners that report obvious and disturbing noises and rattles when the roof is removed. They also report that the handling is not nearly as crisp, especially on rough or washboard roads.

There are just as many owners that report no difference in the performance of the car.

Since this is a topic that generates debate in the C4 community, I'm sure you'll hear from both sides.

I think a lot depends on your intended usage of the car, as well as your ability to detect changes in the car's handling response with the roof off.

I'd recommend finding and joining a local club, and asking for rides in several C4's (coupes with and without tops, and convertibles, too). This will give you a solid feel for how they both compare. Then you will be armed with your own observations, and you won't be purely dependant upon someone else's opinion.

Good Luck in your search!

Steven

You could look for a convertible that has the removable hardtop. Then everybody is happy.

Yeah, they flex

I have an LT4 and it definitely flexes more with the top off, but it's not bad enough to keep me from doing it and I'm very picky about my car. Under normal driving conditions, it's no big deal on my car. The back end is tilted some with the top of also. My car is not the only one that does that.

There are many posts on this site you can search on that will give you good descriptions to make your own choice.

I have a post in the LT4 section if you want to read about my car for sale.

Chetzki

The car's handling ability feels softer to me due to the body flex. The car is tight to begin with so unless a road is smoothe in nature certain bounce is evident with or without the top. A race track would be perfect for this car! :) One thing worth mentioning...I personally don't like the wind with a convertible....removing the top on a coupe has a real nice way of blocking the wind and still have that convertible feel...my opinion of course. Good Luck in your decision!

If it was not a good practice, then GM would have made the C4 a fixed roof coupe.:L C4's coupes do have some body flex but it's not bad for general street use or even some fast curves. Cold tires can really accentuate the flexing or cowl shake but otherwise, it is no problem at all to drive with the top off the car (even with the power levels generated by the ZR-1 or LT4 motors).

The only time my top was on it, was when it was bought. I always ride without it on (although I carry it - just in case). I don't notice any rattles or noises - guess those Magnaflows drown them out....
I used to have a convert, and prefer the targa option better.
Best of Luck!

I would say if you buy a targa... buy a R-D Cross Frame it basically is stronger then the X brace found on the verts.. (basically the vert has a X brace under it and coupes don't)
-=Rick

I've always noticed the cars are a bit more flexy. But that seems expected. Why not just try whatever cars you test-drive with the top off first? It's certainly not bad for the car to drive it that way.

Hi there Mike :w !!!
Actually, the C4 was initially designed to be a t-top car because of the flex problem. The I-frame with a t-top would've prevented the flexing of the body, but the head guy at the time nixed that and gave the order for the targa top design instead.
Depending on your suspension, the flexing with the targa top out can be a tolerable to downright scary experience depending on say...., are you out just cruising or..., are you on it while taking a sharp curve and the road is rippled? In the latter, the C4 will hop around on you. So that's something to know. And now that you know it, you'll know to take the appropriate action if ever in a situation like that. Remember, the car rides low and you're gonna feel road imperfections anyway. Some more than others. So with the top out, it can be more annoying. Just depends on your degree of tolerance.
Take a test drive in both the vert and the coupe and see which you prefer--either Vette style will a great choice.

There is nothing like taking the top off and cruising, leaving the top on would be a shame

Pro Street Customs. Just Google AFSB: Anti Flex Support Bar.

I love the top off but the twitchy shakey feeling is horrible. This thing bolts in like a targa top and sits flat in the hatch. There is a little canvas top under construction. It's the missing 'T' of the original C4 design. Reviews will follow upon receipt. The weather is here for top out action.

When I had my C4's, I hated the feel with the top off. My wife didn't seem to notice it though. Guess it just depends on how your butt feels the car.

We had a base 93 coupe, a Selective Ride Control (FX3) 92 and a Z51 96. They all felt bad with the top off - to me. However, my wife only complained about the Z51 car with the top off.

Test drive some and see how they feel to you then make your decision.

Looks like a nice item. I didn't see a price in the article thought? Looks like it could be used to assist in getting out of the car to!

Great place to hang the fuzzy dice! Or the Parade Queen side saddle. It may hold my Bulldog flag pretty well too. This thing is $400. That will make 3 tops for my car.

The reviews are good and suggest this is more rigid than a solid top, and Tom said he has never had one sent back. I like the unique look, and common sense says this should eliminate the caffiene overdose feeling of a topless C4. I'll be sure to give you my impression since this splurge is most of my fall vacation budget.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom