Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C-4 Plenum Screw Removal?

tls630

Corvette
69 roadster 88roadster
What is the best way to remove the torx screw's from the rear of the plenum. I need to get to the distributor, I got one of the 3 loose. I am soaking them in P.B. blaster. Thanks in advance. I hear this is a very coomon problem. TLS

I believe I have pulled the dist without pulling the plenum, it's tight.

Don't forget the screws underneath at the back of the plenum.

Mart

Yes, there is a vacuum line that goes to the brake booster located at the rear under the plenum. That can be tricky to get loose, but after you have done it a few times it really ins't a problem. You may want to think about replacing those Torx screws when you have them off. I am not sure but I have seen sets for sale that use an allen type head.

I will replace them when I get them out.That is the problem. Any more idea's out there?How long are they? Do they go all the way through ?Or just into the plenum? I thought about a little heat if the just go into the plenum and possibly that would expand the aluminum enough to free them up.What do you think? TLS

I always pull em out with an air-ratchet and #40 Torx on the end of a flex-extension. Never had a problem. The distributor comes out as easy with the plenum in place as it does with it out. the weather stripping on the firewall is a bigger problem. I usually pull the dist cap first. then the rest of the job is a snap.

What I am refering to is the 15mm torx screw's on the top of the plenum in the rear. Over the dist. I cannot get them out. There are 3 of them I have 1 loose. Help!!

Ah the dist. cover. Those screws go into blind holes, not through. Heat would most likely discolor the alum. Did the torx strip out? if so you may have to drill the heads off.There should be enough left to remove with a visegrip.

Glenn
:w

What I am refering to is the 15mm torx screw's on the top of the plenum in the rear. Over the dist. I cannot get them out. There are 3 of them I have 1 loose. Help!!

Sorry – that should have been obvious.:duh

If the heads are not stripped get a hardened torx socket and use a small air impact wrench. The hammering effect of the impact wrench will break the screws out when constant pressure with a normal wrench will not. Craftsman sells both air and electric impact tools at a really great price. Everybody should have one.:)

Hi.
Also, like to ad my two cents worth, I have had similar problems with stubborn screws.
The best to my knowledge, and the best tool for that job is my "Impact Driver". It will save your screw heads, and patience and accomplish the job of loosening the screws.
And well worth the investment, and can be purchased in any auto store or hardware store, or tool store.
It's a simple handheld tool the size of a screwdriver, and turns upon impact with a hammer blow.
It's great around the house, motorcycles, large and small motors, and equipment.
Tom

Thank's to all who have replied. I now have 2 out of 3 loose. I think the head on#3 has about had it.It is not completely stripped out but not far off. I can get a small flat blade screw driver in the slot's but it still won't turn. Am I best off drilling it out or should I try something else? My 2 15 mm torx are junk now, so I have to get another one before I go any further. Thanks to all who have helped. TLS

I got #3. I ran all over looking for a hand impact, and no one had one. So I came back and tried a t20 and it barely fit the wallowed out 15. I took a hammer and tapped it into the torx, then took the screw driver handle and tapped as I turned and it came loose. Thank's again for all the help.. TLS

Hi.
Also, like to ad my two cents worth, I have had similar problems with stubborn screws.
The best to my knowledge, and the best tool for that job is my "Impact Driver". It will save your screw heads, and patience and accomplish the job of loosening the screws.
And well worth the investment, and can be purchased in any auto store or hardware store, or tool store.
It's a simple handheld tool the size of a screwdriver, and turns upon impact with a hammer blow.
It's great around the house, motorcycles, large and small motors, and equipment.
Tom
My Makita impact driver is my favorite tool. It's a great power screwdriver. You can run screws with it all day long and it doesn't jerk your wrist around like a regular power driver. And it's great for breaking small screws and bolts loose, like the distributor cover , license plate bolts, lawn mower blades, etc. It won't take the place of a 1/2" pneumatic impact driver, but for smaller applications, it can't be beat. I have even used it to run 1/4" lag screws as long as 4" on occassion.

John

I will have one of the impact driver's as soon as I find one. Even Sear's here in town did'nt have them. but I will find one somewhere. TLS

I believe I have pulled the dist without pulling the plenum, it's tight.

Don't forget the screws underneath at the back of the plenum.

Mart

Yes, if you have the cut away style rear plenum cover you can just pull the distributor up and out. There are two styles.

I will have one of the impact driver's as soon as I find one. Even Sear's here in town did'nt have them. but I will find one somewhere. TLS

Use anti-seize compound on the threads of the new screws so this does not happen again.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom