Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C-6s for sale.... Dealers only ?

Well, you certainly got a lot off your chest, and that's absolutely OK. I bought several Corvettes, including my last one from a forum vendor in 2012. I feel I got a screaming deal with $10k off list, 0% APR and midway between trade-in and retail for my trade. That said, what is there to talk about? I have talked to a dozen or more forum members who have purchased new or used cars from our vendors, and most were very happy. There are very few car buying virgins on this forum, and even fewer folks who are afraid to make their views perfectly clear. I will agree that there isn't a lot of trash talking after the sale, but that's pretty much the way folks at CAC seem to roll. One thing is certain...if anyone was hosed by a forum (or any other) dealer, you'd know it.

Last week at Carlisle, talked to a dealer rep who advertises on another forum who maintains that his activity on just one forum led to several hundred new car sales in 2012. I know for a fact he delivered 6 cars in one Saturday last May. I guess you can good deals or bad deals as a result of business dealing on any forum, just like the real world.

Forums are forums. Sometimes they make sense, sometimes they don't. Most of us are smart enough to know the difference...most of the time. :L

I understand your frustration, but understand that dealers are in business to make money. Buying a vehicle can be a PITA or it can be fun. If you do your homework and know what a car is worth it makes the process a lot easier. As far as the vendors we have here, I haven't heard of any problems. If you are buying outright w/o trade (clean deal) there is generally no problem with a advertised price. When you throw a trade into the mix, the it gets fuzzy. As a rule, I never go into a dealership unless I know exactly what they will sell me the vehicle for upfront. I just ordered a C7 and the price was determined before I went there.

:beer

And the forums are not really the place to question the price that a supporting vendor has put on a car. So you don't get much discussion about the price, at least on a specifically posted car. There are, however, posts where people ask about what they can expect to see for prices when the go looking for a car.

A new 13 is a smoking deal if you can find what you want. Base car brand new for $39ish. Get online and shaop around. I was going to get one but decided on a new C7 for $50k without any haggle + using my GM card +TTL I thought it worth $10k more for a new C7 :happyanim:

That is quite the statement....... " the forums are not really the place to question the price a supporting vendor has put on a car "

Yes, lets bow down and open our wallets. The dealer or representative of never did respond. ( the best way to avoid the truth is silence ) Its a simple question of economics. I want to know why I am better off with a low mileage 06 vs a new 13 with so little cash difference. ( Lets see, warranty, vs replacement parts, trade value when appropriate, engineering updates, hidden problems ) Coupe / roadster, makes no never mind to me. I just was interested in justification. Alot of members are and maybe just too timid to speak up. Well guess what... I learn by doing and asking questions. As they say " there are no dumb questions " Just some dumb answers to cloud the issue.
When there is no justified answer I smell a rat. I don't turn my nose up and run. I try to find out why. And that was the gist of my response.
Do you think I got in the position of owning multiple classic cars with an eye for a new Vette by sitting in the last row with gum on my nose ???????
If you question my intent I certainly have to question yours. If you have no stake in the matter why pretend " supporting vendors " are placed on a pedestal, treated like the last avenue of approach, and agree 100% with every word ?
Car dealers are more concerned with the bottom line rather than if you had a satisfactory value in exchange for your gold. I don't throw money into the four winds. I make purchases based on value, need, trust, and satisfaction. When my questions go unanswered or I can't get a decent explanation, I walk away.

So....walk away.....who cares? I don't get what you are so pissed about......selling and buying is an art form not a science. People will always try to get the most out of what they got....it's how it works.....it's up to the buyer to be the one who realizes if he is getting value or not.......Oh...and welcome to the CAC.....:thumb

That is quite the statement....... " the forums are not really the place to question the price a supporting vendor has put on a car "

Yes, lets bow down and open our wallets. The dealer or representative of never did respond. ( the best way to avoid the truth is silence ) Its a simple question of economics. I want to know why I am better off with a low mileage 06 vs a new 13 with so little cash difference. ( Lets see, warranty, vs replacement parts, trade value when appropriate, engineering updates, hidden problems ) Coupe / roadster, makes no never mind to me. I just was interested in justification. Alot of members are and maybe just too timid to speak up. Well guess what... I learn by doing and asking questions. As they say " there are no dumb questions " Just some dumb answers to cloud the issue.
When there is no justified answer I smell a rat. I don't turn my nose up and run. I try to find out why. And that was the gist of my response.
Do you think I got in the position of owning multiple classic cars with an eye for a new Vette by sitting in the last row with gum on my nose ???????
If you question my intent I certainly have to question yours. If you have no stake in the matter why pretend " supporting vendors " are placed on a pedestal, treated like the last avenue of approach, and agree 100% with every word ?
Car dealers are more concerned with the bottom line rather than if you had a satisfactory value in exchange for your gold. I don't throw money into the four winds. I make purchases based on value, need, trust, and satisfaction. When my questions go unanswered or I can't get a decent explanation, I walk away.

I stand by that statement. A person has the right to put whatever price they want on a car and you have the right not to buy it. What you don't have the right to do is criticize what the people are doing and then try to rationalize it by claiming that you were asking questions.

When I saw your post I PM'ed one of the moderators about the TOS here. Some forums have provisions in there TOS that don't allow for such behavior because its not very constructive. Evidently they don't have that limitation here. I think you can tell by the flack you took on the post that most people didn't think that your behavior was as enlightening as you did.

When I saw your post I PM'ed one of the moderators about the TOS here. Some forums have provisions in there TOS that don't allow for such behavior because its not very constructive. Evidently they don't have that limitation here. I think you can tell by the flack you took on the post that most people didn't think that your behavior was as enlightening as you did.

This thread, and every other one on the forum is reviewed and moderated. While constructive comments and non-constructive comments are a matter of opinion most of the time, the mods and administrators do not allow posts that violate our TOS. Sometimes it's a fine line, as this may be, and sometimes it's a slam dunk violation. We deal with those in a blink of an eye. I have made threads disappear before the pixels dry.

We do allow differences of opinions and sometimes allow folks to make themselves look a little silly, or even worse.

Sometimes it's a fine line between over moderation and chaos, but we try.

Now let's move on.

This thread, and every other one on the forum is reviewed and moderated. While constructive comments and non-constructive comments are a matter of opinion most of the time, the mods and administrators do not allow posts that violate our TOS. Sometimes it's a fine line, as this may be, and sometimes it's a slam dunk violation. We deal with those in a blink of an eye. I have made threads disappear before the pixels dry.

We do allow differences of opinions and sometimes allow folks to make themselves look a little silly, or even worse.

Sometimes it's a fine line between over moderation and chaos, but we try.

Now let's move on.

I understand what he is saying because I was in the car business for 25+ years and see nothing wrong with his post. I hate car dealers or should I say sales in general, deosn't matter to me what is being sold. Yes after 25+ years I got out and cringe at the thought of even going into a dealership because frankly I get the feeling that they are trying to pick my pocket and shake my hand at the same time.

But there are ways to make that purchase and have it be painless if you do your homework. The man is just speaking his mind and based on the thread I have seen here this is pretty mild. ;)

If you have an issue with a Supporting Vendor and their prices, take it up with them personally. There's no reason to call them out on the carpet about it in public.

Supporting Vendors here are not placed on a pedestal. If a serious issue arises with a Supporting Vendor here and it's proven - with facts that the Supporting Vendor was in the wrong - and they have no intention of doing right by the customer, then I have no problem pulling them off of this site....regardless of the fact that they are paying to advertise here.

However, with that said - Supporting Vendors do pay to advertise on this site, and the cost to run this web site and the server it resides on is not cheap. I started this site out of my pocket, and paid for it out of my pocket until we started to get Supporting Vendors who now help to offset the operational costs of this site - and continue to allow it to be free to you and every other member here.

So, that is why I ask that if a member has an issue with a Supporting Vendor and it involves a financial transaction that you've had with them - take it up with them privately. DO NOT drag them through the mire in an open forum. If you feel that the issue is not being resolved to your satisfaction with the vendor, then contact me privately here in the forums, and I will mediate between the situation. If you and I both agree that you were wronged by the Supporting Vendor and the Supporting Vendor refuses to make the situation right with the customer, then I will deal directly with the Supporting Vendor.

How other forums deal with their Supporting Vendors is their business. I prefer to deal with Supporting Vendors in such a way that both they and their customers (our forum members) are happy with any transactions that may occur between both parties.

Last but not least: even though advertising revenue from Supporting Vendors is extremely helpful in offsetting the operational costs of this site, if a company comes to me and inquires about advertising on this site, but I know they have a poor reputation with treating their customers, I will not take their money and sign them as a Supporting Vendor here.

I trust that I've made my position on Supporting Vendors here on this site, quite clear...

If you have an issue with a Supporting Vendor and their prices, take it up with them personally. There's no reason to call them out on the carpet about it in public.

Supporting Vendors here are not placed on a pedestal. If a serious issue arises with a Supporting Vendor here and it's proven - with facts that the Supporting Vendor was in the wrong - and they have no intention of doing right by the customer, then I have no problem pulling them off of this site....regardless of the fact that they are paying to advertise here.

However, with that said - Supporting Vendors do pay to advertise on this site, and the cost to run this web site and the server it resides on is not cheap. I started this site out of my pocket, and paid for it out of my pocket until we started to get Supporting Vendors who now help to offset the operational costs of this site - and continue to allow it to be free to you and every other member here.

So, that is why I ask that if a member has an issue with a Supporting Vendor and it involves a financial transaction that you've had with them - take it up with them privately. DO NOT drag them through the mire in an open forum. If you feel that the issue is not being resolved to your satisfaction with the vendor, then contact me privately here in the forums, and I will mediate between the situation. If you and I both agree that you were wronged by the Supporting Vendor and the Supporting Vendor refuses to make the situation right with the customer, then I will deal directly with the Supporting Vendor.

How other forums deal with their Supporting Vendors is their business. I prefer to deal with Supporting Vendors in such a way that both they and their customers (our forum members) are happy with any transactions that may occur between both parties.

Last but not least: even though advertising revenue from Supporting Vendors is extremely helpful in offsetting the operational costs of this site, if a company comes to me and inquires about advertising on this site, but I know they have a poor reputation with treating their customers, I will not take their money and sign them as a Supporting Vendor here.

I trust that I've made my position on Supporting Vendors here on this site, quite clear...

Rob, I couldn't disagree with you more, really, you place the value of paying vendors above the members. Their only purpose is to profit from the people on this site. I for one would be happy to pay a due to be here without feeling like we have been sold out. I value the information here greatly and certainly would like to see it continue with out feeling afraid of offending a dealership trying to sell their products. :ugh

Yes the subject line of where to get and how to get the best deal on a car is of real value to the members here, there are some great stories and lessons to be learned. Perhaps you should consider an alternative view on this. Just Sayin ;)

Rob, you are also assuming he is referring to dealers here, I didn't take that from his post, I see his problem as more dealers in general advertising corvettes. Did he name a specific vendor? I think this is being blown way out of proportion. Pump the brakes.

Last edited:
Rob, I couldn't disagree with you more, really, you place the value of paying vendors above the members. Their only purpose is to profit from the people on this site. I for one would be happy to pay a due to be here without feeling like we have been sold out. I value the information here greatly and certainly would like to see it continue with out feeling afraid of offending a dealership trying to sell their products. :ugh

Yes the subject line of where to get and how to get the best deal on a car is of real value to the members here, there are some great stories and lessons to be learned. Perhaps you should consider an alternative view on this. Just Sayin ;)

Rob, you are also assuming he is referring to dealers here, I didn't take that from his post, I see his problem as more dealers in general advertising corvettes. Did he name a specific vendor? I think this is being blown way out of proportion. Pump the brakes.
I'm not placing the value of Supporting Vendors over the members. Both are equally important to the viability of this site. However, it costs money to run a web site...a lot of money when it's a site this size sitting on its own server. There are also software costs and software update costs involved as well.

The members do not have to pay for access to this site, and that is the type of model I wanted to use when I first developed the CAC. If I wanted to keep the site free to members but not have Supporting Vendors - I would still be paying a ton of money out of my pocket to keep the site free for members.

I'm generous...but to a point.

Could I get rid of Supporting Vendors and make this a paid membership site only? Absolutely. However, I'd probably also be shooting myself in the foot, given that there are other Corvette forum web sites out there that are free to everyone - and have Supporting Vendors. So I have done the best I can to position the CAC to be as competitive as possible.

Would any of those other Corvette sites take the time to get involved in a dispute between one of their members and a Supporting Vendor - and pull the Supporting Vendor from the site if it was determined that the Supporting Vendor was in the wrong and refused to rectify the situation? I think not. So please don't tell me that I'm putting the Supporting Vendors on this site ahead of my members - because if that were the case, I wouldn't have even taken the time to respond in this thread.

I also am not assuming he is only talking about dealers here. We have Supporting Vendors and Supporting Dealers here. I clearly have used the term "Supporting Vendors" in my responses here.

Fair enough Rob, Thank you for being open to an alternative opinion.

:beer

My guess is the dealer ads are so out of reality no one responds. ( reminds me of the GM ads that will take 10k off the retail price of a last years Silverado ...... if you include a trade worth 6k ) Yet if you question an ad several brave souls will jump in and defend the print. If the prices are so in value why are the ads not responded to. I asked a dealer for a verification on a 06. The dealer never responded but it start off a firestorm of comments.

I've witnessed this too, but I think getting Supporting Vendors is critical to any forum. Members recognize this and have a tendency to defend oftentimes a bit too much! Some of the listed prices can be really high and it's not very often I respond. If I do respond it's to comment how nice the car is but only if the price is reasonable.

Another topic is if there are parts for sale most don't list a price. If it fits it ships and if its for sale it should contain a price. No listed price screams " over priced item " and not worth responding to. Negotiations are a way of life and continue to be the norm. Ads with " firm " or " offers not accepted " really hinder a sale. I have found selling for a few dollars less or having the chance to explain why my price is above the norm may in fact sway the deal. I am never offended by offers no matter the number.

I've always thought that if you are going to advertise, put your asking price. Statistics show that the response rate on an ad goes up tremendously when the price is there. I always get a kick out of an ad where you ONLY get the price if you send a message asking for it...what's that all about? To me that screams "over priced" just as west ridge commented and I don't bother with it. Especially if the words "rare" or "hard to find" or "don't have to sell, but" is in the ad.

I think west ridge's comments are up for legitimate discussion.

Chuck M

I went and read the posts you made in the for sale section. You were answered. You asked why the asking price of a 3LT 2006 Convertible was near the price of a new 2013 base model coupe. You got responses. The dealer didn't have to respond if they didn't want to, especially considering you got responses from other people.

The question was so out of whack I can see why the dealer wouldn't respond. It would be like me asking why a 2013 ZR1 is more than a 2014 Stingray. There are options on Corvettes which vary the price. Furthermore, people and dealers can ask whatever they darn well feel for a car they own.

Corvette Mike is probably smart enough to know the C6 prices are about to go UP just like the C4 prices did with the C5 came out and the C5 prices went up when the C6 came out. In both cases there was a temporary slack where prices plummeted, then there were few left and low mile or no mile examples sold for more. Fact is the C7 is a solid 10 grand more (selling) than the C6. There is limited supply of the C7 so at many (crappy) dealers they will charge a premium on top of that. It will make the C6 look like a bargain in a just a few months at a price higher than what new ones are selling for now.

Corvette Mike is probably smart enough to know the C6 prices are about to go UP just like the C4 prices did with the C5 came out and the C5 prices went up when the C6 came out. In both cases there was a temporary slack where prices plummeted, then there were few left and low mile or no mile examples sold for more. Fact is the C7 is a solid 10 grand more (selling) than the C6. There is limited supply of the C7 so at many (crappy) dealers they will charge a premium on top of that. It will make the C6 look like a bargain in a just a few months at a price higher than what new ones are selling for now.

You know, I'm thinking the other way on that, Chevrolet has stated they are in line to have every C7 pre-sold for at least 2 years, that's a flood of C4, C5, and C6 trades. To me that means lower selling prices on those trades and all other Corvette inventory around. Dealers are recognizing this enough to blow out the left over C6's at invoice or less, unless of course it's special edition ones. If I were a used Corvette Dealer, I'd be nervous about my inventory's depreciating value in a few short months and start thinking about discounting right now. I don't really remember the C4 and C5 Corvettes going up when the all new models were introduced.

If a new C7 Dealer is inflating pricing over MSRP, I won't buy from them, and if a used C5 or C6 price is being inflated because of playing games with C7 prices or any other reason, I won't and MANY won't buy from those dealers.

Chuck M

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom