Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C1/C4 Vette-rod

Corvette
1981 white/blue interior automatic
Not really sure where to ask this question (forum) but I'll start here. Ever since I got my Corvette back in '99 my Mom has been hooked on them as well. She wants a later C1, but cannot handle the no power anything and no a/c. She's finally got the itch bad, and wants to purchase one. We've seen/heard about "hot rod" vettes, that use a C4 chassis and interior, but has a C1 body over it. The problem is that a lot of these "hot rod" companies are not reputable and go out of business very fast. Does anyone know of any place that builds or sells a complete turn-key car like this? Looking for all Corvette, C4 chassis (or tube frame), C1 body. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

-Tatortot

There are a buch of good guys building turn key cars as well a components.

Billy Dawson at WWW.corvettecorrection.com will build you one or sell you rolling chassis.

Mike StockDale at http://www.sriiimotorsports.com/pages/691638/index.htm, will also sell you everything from a bare chassis to a turn-key car.

There are many others out there, but both of these guys I have dealt with in the past and are both good guys. I have just purchased my second SRIII chassis in as many years. Be prepared however, for some real shock when you see the price. It would pretty much be inpossible to have a car built for less than about $100,000. When you start adding on all the goodies, you can add on another $50K real fast. This is the norm for most restoration shops and build-to-suit shops today. The inital cost of the car and all the labor involved, really runs the price up in a hurry! This is one of the reasons that so many of these cars are owner built, there are not that many people with that much disposable income! You can cut the cost in half if you are a skilled fabricator and mechanic, but be prepared to expend 600 to 1000 hours on the project If you do it all.
Regards, John McGraw

Thank you both for your replies. Unfortunitally the spending limit is $40,000. Believe me I know this is not much, but I have seen a few cars here and there for that price. But that makes me suspicious as well. Thats why I decided to ask all of you if you knew of any place that did this for around the price I've seen. About a year ago I found a place in GA called I believe "Corvette Creations" but now there website is down, and probably out of business. I have looked at all the websites posted and then some, and see that all these places require at least $80,000 for one. I'll keep my eyes open and will post anything I find, and hopefully you all can tell me if it sounds good or a rip off. Wish I could buy the chassis and do it myself but I do not have the know-how and really really don't have the space/facilities. Thanks again for all help!

-Tatortot

Forgot to ask, what do you guys think of this? http://www.kitcars.com/Classifieds/AdDetails.asp?classified_id=5798

You will be hard pressed to find one for 40.000. It will cost me almost that to build my own. And thats doing all the work myself. Beware of any of these places that sound to good to be true. Alot of these unknown builders will take your money and you won't see them again. Makes me think of Dean from D&D Corvette.

Thanks for the post 'vette'. This is what I was affraid of; was hoping there was some recommendations someone could give that was in my price range. Oh well maybe I can talk her into a C5 or something! :)

-Tatortot

22229stingray81 said:
Thanks for the post 'vette'. This is what I was affraid of; was hoping there was some recommendations someone could give that was in my price range. Oh well maybe I can talk her into a C5 or something! :)
-Tatortot

There's hope. Sounds like she's already aware of the (relatively) rougher ride of the C1 and merely wishes to add a few modern comfort conveniences. AC, pwr steering, pwr disc brakes, pwr locks, cruise, stereo etc. can all be added onto the C1 with little difficulty, while staying close to your budget. It won't handle like a C4/C5 but from the sounds of it, she'll never utilize the car to the limits where that becomes a factor anyway - smile factor will remain the same. Much has been discussed here and on "other" Corvette boards regarding such mods, search the archives.

That looks an awful lot like "Corvette Creations" stuff. JohnZ, I fully respect and understand your opinion (looks to good to be true), but do you mind explaining why this looks to be no good? My lack of knowledge is showing. Thanks again for all replies.

Viking- Thanks for your reply. That looks to be the only way this could happen. A lot more work than I think she wanted to put into it, but I'll pitch it to her. Ive seen some NOM C1's for as little as $25k; and since originality doesn't matter here....

-Tatortot

Those molds have been bought and sold several times over the last four years, as has the frame tooling, using the same fancy website (with different names) to promote the as-yet-unseen product. I spent many years working with the legitimate names in the kit car industry, and I've seen many others come and go almost overnight; this one has all the signs of an underfunded belly-up operation that has already failed several times. The chrome, stainless, and body hardware to make a car out of it would cost more than the body and the frame together. :eyerole
:beer

JohnZ said:
Those molds have been bought and sold several times over the last four years, as has the frame tooling, using the same fancy website (with different names) to promote the as-yet-unseen product. I spent many years working with the legitimate names in the kit car industry, and I've seen many others come and go almost overnight; this one has all the signs of an underfunded belly-up operation that has already failed several times. The chrome, stainless, and body hardware to make a car out of it would cost more than the body and the frame together. :eyerole
:beer
As far as chrome, stainless and body hardware this is true, but the finished product is a real show stopper with no second rate pieces or fatigued body. Look what it would cost to start with a solid car that is still 50 years. Then you have to hope that you do not get any suprises like rot or broken panels. If you start from scratch everthing is new and first class if done correctly (will not ever have to worry about never touching a part because it is hanging on its last thread). This is a big investment and corners should not be cut. :beer

Viking427 said:
There's hope. Sounds like she's already aware of the (relatively) rougher ride of the C1 and merely wishes to add a few modern comfort conveniences. AC, pwr steering, pwr disc brakes, pwr locks, cruise, stereo etc. can all be added onto the C1 with little difficulty, while staying close to your budget. It won't handle like a C4/C5 but from the sounds of it, she'll never utilize the car to the limits where that becomes a factor anyway - smile factor will remain the same. Much has been discussed here and on "other" Corvette boards regarding such mods, search the archives.

That sounds like a good plan to me. But still, finding a nice C-1 and adding all of those options will strain that $40K budget in my opinion. Especially since it appears that all of the labor will be provided by others. Ka-Ching! Of course this will depend on the buyer's tolerance for a car of lesser condition. I watch several dealer's websites just to keep an eye on what's turning over and it seems to me that C-1's aren't exactly for sale on every street corner these days. Sure, you can do better with a private sale but if you are picky about year, condition, colors, engine, transmission etc. you can wait a couple of years for your dream car to show up in your preferred configuration. I bought both of my Vettes from Conte's Corvettes in Vineland and I couldn't be happier even though I know I paid a premium. Joe has 39 Vette's on his website currently. www.contes.com 6 C-2's, 0 C-1's. If memory serves me correctly he only listed 4-6 C-1's during all of 2004. Happy hunting and my compliments to mom's taste in Corvettes!:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom