Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C1 distributor replacement

Corvette
1962 rebuild in progress
Evening folks, I am looking at replacing my original distributor with a new solid state high energy distributor. I have a 300hp with a powerglide so I am currently using a single point unit. Anyone have any input, experience, or recomendations in replacing their mechanical tach drive distributor with a new solid state unit. I would still want to continue to have the tach drive working off the dist. Thanks

There's A Few

I have an MSD in mine now, the previous was a Mallory, original dual point that I converted to unilite both with the tach drive. No problems with either, I still have the Mallory in a box, I went to MSD as a recommendation from an engine builder. The tach drive will run you an extra $100 roughly.
:lou

rowdys set up is 1 option but petronix offers a conversion for your dist which works great for everytthing but a heavily modified car just my 2 cents :w :W Steve

Your car info says "1962 restoration in progress" so...know that there is no solid-state, high energy distributor which is even close to acceptable in a restoration. Now, if this car is really "restified" (restored and modified) then there's no problem.

Also, a 300-horse, 327, P-glide doesn't need an ignition like that and probably will not benefit much other than possibly, sllightly more accurate triggering of the ignition. The engine has neither the rpm capability nor the cylinder pressure to make use of the high-performance ignition offered by such products.

Aftermarket, solid-state, high-energy ign. distributors with a mech. tach drive that accepts the stock Corvette tach cable are few. As far as I know, MSD is the only one that makes a dist. like that and it requires a separate ign. amplifier.

If you do decide to go ahead with your program, I suggest the MSD Corvette distributor, the MSD 6AL ignition, MSD Superconductor plug wires and Denso Iridium Power spark plugs.

Just did a complete rebuild of my 66 427-425 and changed over to the entire MSD system ( mech drive distr., spark box, coil and super cond wires ). It was relatively simple to install and is very effective. The MSD tech support is friendly and cooperative. By the way Hib, why do you recommend Denso plugs, why not AC, Autolite or any of the other name brands? Also, what heat range would you recommend? Thanks, Steve

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom