Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C1 hood scoop - opinions

BarryK said:
Here is a pic of the car with the area I'm talking about drawn out in red..... sorry it isn't neater but I think it would be enough to help you understand what I'm trying to describe.

Excellent idea, Barry. I like it.

Charles, I like the yellow hood. Couldn't you separate the top skin and get a new bottom skin that you could put new nut plates into and then it would be ready to accept the hinge bolts and the latch bolts as well. Then you wouldn't have to monkey with that. May even be possible to just mount the bottom hood skin and see how well it fits by itself. It would also give you a good reference point for making corrections to the whole hood perimeter. Just a thought.

IH2LOSE said:
I guess I could just cut a hole in the hood and drive it that way for a while!
Well as you know I did it in order to have the car at carlilse with a hood on it.
Larry:
I know. Just yanking your chain a little.

Barry:
I understand your idea but 'm not too sure I like the idea of the forward facing scoop. I'll have to draw it out and see what it looks like. Right now I am in the process of lowering the center of the scoop about 0.75" in order to make the top parallel the existing hood surface. I'll see how that looks and then decide if I want to move the opening forward. I'll post more pics in a few days.
Charles

Charles
It was just an idea to throw out at you.
seeing the pics on your site of the '62 and your work on this car, I have no doubt that whatever design you end up with will look great :beer

Final Hood Design

K&N says you should have 1" clearance above one of their filter tops; you can get away with 1/2" but you will be "defeating the purpose of the filter top". This design gives me about 1/2" minumum clearance over the edges of the filter top, maybe 3/4" in the center. So here is the final hood design.
Charles
hood_scoops2.jpg

You know charles I almost think you were yanking our chain with the other pictures, This is what I pictured from your description only a smaller opening in the front.

I think you got it now,Excellent job.Very creative.That hood looks like it belongs

What does Carol think of?

Larry:

I had some pieces of 1" thick closed cell insulation board left over from when I built the new shop, so I just glued some of them together and then glued them to the old hood. The stuff is real easy to shape with a sharp knife and sand paper. The final coat is body filler, about half a gallon in this case. The black front opening is just a piece of paper.

This is the design I had in the back of my mind from the start. I just wanted to see what the first design would look like. I thought about lowering the front opening some more but I think anything smaller might be out of proportion to the front grill opening.

Carol's doesn't get a vote on this one.

Charles

I am only asking as I am sure you might be out in the garage making her a simular hood for the other car.

PS perfect tie into the front foward edge, As I said before you got it this time for sure

Charles how is the hood coming along?

I just got the febuary issue of vette magazine and there an article on adding a scoop to a C4 the scoop looks like what I want to dow with my 62 in the future

Here is a picture from the manufactorers web site

F-4.jpg

Larry:

Right now I'm waiting for some warmer weather so I can put some primer on it and do some final sanding before I make a fiberglass mold.

I thought about adding some "compartments" to the hood scoop opening to make it look sort of like the front of a C1 with the two (fake) air vent openings and the large grill opening, but I think I will leave it alone for now.
Or maybe I could add some small grill "teeth" in the front opening!
Charles

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom