Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C1 - Ignition/Spark Plug Sheilding??

J60FI

Corvette
1960 Red on Red
Can someone explain what the purpose of the shielding around the spark plugs and ignition coil serves... is it necessary to have the shielding installed on the car? ;shrug

Thanks
Joe

Joe

The fiberglass bodies don't block the electrical static that is picked up through the AM radio so GM shielded the wires to accomplish what a metal body would do. Radio delete cars don't come with the shielding.

Jim

Joe

The fiberglass bodies don't block the electrical static that is picked up through the AM radio so GM shielded the wires to accomplish what a metal body would do. Radio delete cars don't come with the shielding.

Jim

Thanks Jim... I am going to put a radio in soon.. I have the grounding straps and all the capacitors.. but still need the shielding and was wondering if i really needed them or if they would be cosmetic.. thanks for the reply.
:beer

Thanks Jim... I am going to put a radio in soon.. I have the grounding straps and all the capacitors.. but still need the shielding and was wondering if i really needed them or if they would be cosmetic.. thanks for the reply.
:beer

If an original engine bay isnt your thing,You might want to try some modern wires with resistor plugs and you may not have a problem.

Not all engine bays have to be factory correct
237558900_bvHcP-M.jpg

If an original engine bay isnt your thing,You might want to try some modern wires with resistor plugs and you may not have a problem.

Not all engine bays have to be factory correct
237558900_bvHcP-M.jpg

Very SWEET!!!!

Are you installing the original AM radio? Do your neighbors still get their TV signal over the air (not from cable)? Are you going to display your car with the hood open? Then, yes, you need the shielding.

If you install an aftermarket FM radio, you can probably get away without the shielding. If you spend most of your time driving around with the top down, you won't be able to hear the radio or the static.

How do you know your capacitors are any good?

Are you installing the original AM radio? Do your neighbors still get their TV signal over the air (not from cable)? Are you going to display your car with the hood open? Then, yes, you need the shielding.

If you install an aftermarket FM radio, you can probably get away without the shielding. If you spend most of your time driving around with the top down, you won't be able to hear the radio or the static.

How do you know your capacitors are any good?

THis car is a frame off total restoration.. but i want to drive it .. no queen here.. I will be waiting to see how much noise before i decide to get the shielding..

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom