Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C1 improved radio speaker

harland

Corvette
1961 fawn beige convertible
Hi, I was told that a new dual cone speaker can be installed where the old AM speaker was. I am considering a Custom auto sound AM-FM with an input jack for my XM radio. The salesman referred to kick panel speakers which sounded nice, but I don't want my car to look too 'modified' -I would appreciate stereo advice from another Forum reader who has tried different options. thanks, Harland

I put a new speaker in the dash and also the kick panel speakers and the Custom Auto stereo with the cd changewr in my trunk. It sounds very good. There's only so much talk radio and mexican music a person can handle when cruising in a corvette. I had to spray paint the kick panels (red) and take the vinyl trim off the original ones to put on the speaker kick panels. I don't really hear the speakers in the kick panels because the dash one sort of drowns them out. I would just replace the dash speaker only, if I was to do it again. If you do put in the kick panel speakers, make sure you add the trim from the original kick panels and it will look very original to the car.

This will be my setup for 2007. While I drive a 1967 it might give you some ideas.

Kick panel speakers.

kenwood001.jpg

Dual-cone dash speaker.

kenwood.jpg

KHE-200 (Ken Harrison Enterprises) head unit, 50W x 4, with IPod Shuffle. The latter holds 125 tunes.

Khe-200002.jpg

speaker set up

looks sharp! thanks for your input. Harland

Hi Outwest, sharp looking car! I appreciate your advice and will stick with the center speaker. I was wondering how well kick panel speakers would work with the fairly 'uninsulated' Corvette--remember when they used to advertise the full size Fords as quieter than a Rolls Royce ? I don't think a Corvette 'experience' is quite so quiet. Did you use special center speakers to get a stereo effect-or is that fruitless in the small area involved? where are you located? regards, Harland in Ft. Collins, CO

Hey Harland, I've got the duel cone speaker, like Paul has. (pic above) I think it's rated for 180 or 200 watts, or something like that. It does the job. I can crank it up without any distortion. It's kind of hard to get that full effect stereo sound with that center speaker, but it's a hell of an upgrade from the old mono one. Let me know what you think when you're done. I'm out here in Carson City, Nv. about 20 minutes down the hill from Lake Tahoe. Chris

speaker

Hi, I ordered the Custom Audio #6 I think it is-has the 'original' style look with Corvette on it ($299.) and the dual cone speaker-was told 4-6 weeks. I appreciate the advice and will give my feedback down the road. thanks again. Harland

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom