Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C1: November 10, 2006 Body shop update

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
Went over on Friday to see Harry at the shop, good news they are making really good progress, bad news got a HUGE bill, oh well, it wasn't like I didn't know it was coming. I really like the atention to detail he is putting in to this, I realize that costs money too, but he making sure that all the body panels and the gaps are perfect.

He found after sorting the deck lids out, that right where the hinges attach to the soft top lid, that each of those two areas, the deck lid dips a bit in that area. So he is going to do some grinding to lay in some mat and get everything to be at the right height.

The red circles are tha areas that are not equal heights when laying flat.
IMG_236111_10_06-vi.jpg

The left spring tensioner rod inside the soft top area, through the years has rubbed a hole into the fiberglass. Harry will be taking everything apart and seeing if they can redrill and offset tht slightly to get it so that it doesn't rub the body any more. The right side is just fine.
IMG_236211_10_06-vi.jpg

notice the little blocks of wood around the decklid opening. He has those every where to set the body pieces at the right height to make sure that everything matches up just right.
IMG_236311_10_06-vi.jpg

They also had to repair the bumper openings since those flanges in some cases were just plain busted or missing. He made a fixture that would sit inside the opening and enable them to get a real good uniform fit for all 4 of the openings.
IMG_237211_10_06-vi.jpg

we got into a conversation about what to do inside the soft top area, should it be painted body color (red)? black? left primer? It is only money...anyone got an opinion here? Photos to share?
IMG_237411_10_06-vi.jpg

when you look down the side of the body, you can see that it is as straight as it can be. the fenders and rockers look really good....
IMG_237611_10_06-vi.jpg

IMG_238211_10_06-vi.jpg

Had to repair one of the areas where the door hinges hang. Ordered up some new pieces from Paragon, will be good as new when done.
IMG_237911_10_06-vi.jpg

Haven't decided what to do about the center front console as of yet. Not putting the clock back in nor the radio nor the temperature controls or fan stuff....so we are talking about what to do there, perhaps a fuel pressure gage and even maybe a O2 readout from the O2 sensor.....anyone else got comments or thoughts here?
IMG_238411_10_06-vi.jpg

Had to include this photo as well....it is sitting right next to my '60 in the shop. I think it just arrived...not sure what the plans are for it as of yet, but it looks fun!
IMG_237711_10_06-vi.jpg

one other that they are getting close to finishing...
IMG_237811_10_06-vi.jpg

that is it for now, the new front end body panels are due to be shipped end of next week from Oregon, so should be end of the following week. We are right on schedule for Christmas completion at the body shop.

Looking good Herb. I hope to be knee deep in that sort of thing next winter.

Looking good Herb. I hope to be knee deep in that sort of thing next winter.

Hope to have Phoenix there this winter (but not on the schedule I had planned) :ugh Herb, looks like you have a retentive body guy. And that's a good thing. As for the cost? You usually get what you pay for. And since life isn't a dress rehearsal, dig deep and enjoy!
Cheers!
Jeff

As for the cost? You usually get what you pay for. And since life isn't a dress rehearsal, dig deep and enjoy!
Cheers!
Jeff
I agree, but I am almost to China right now with my digging!!!!

we got into a conversation about what to do inside the soft top area, should it be painted body color (red)? black? left primer? It is only money...anyone got an opinion here? Photos to share?

I don't have a C1, and don't know how its usually done, but IMO I like the body color option... My $.02.... Lookin' good so far....

I don't have a C1, and don't know how its usually done, but IMO I like the body color option... My $.02.... Lookin' good so far....
Body color option is certainly a good one....I am not sure when I have to make the final decision, but soon I am sure. they are going to town on that body. I stopped by yesterday unannounced to drop off a check (can you say OUCH) and was pleased to see one of the guys in the booth working on my deck lid. At least I know they are working on my car even when they don't know I am coming by.

Makes it easy, they are less than 5 minutes from where I work so lunch time drive bys are very very easy....

Herb

So when can you guys come over and start working on my '59? I'm still in a race to beat Bryant. :D

Regards,

Jim
it is just cubic dollars.....and you can get anything done in a hurry...trust me I am finding out!

I'm still ahead of you Jim. I have all of the pieces. :L I have been looking over my shoulder though.

Better stop lookin' and start movin'.. I'm kicking off some fiberglass work, and been ordering parts from CC and Zip.... I may be further behind, but I'm gaining momentum. :D

I got some water in the basement from the monsoons New Year's eve and we spent New Years day drying and re-boxing a lot of stuff. I had to move a ton of car parts including Corvette stuff out to the shop now I can hardly walk through there. 15 years since we built this and that's the first problem we have had. Here it is the 14th of January and the ground is still saturated and it is still raining. I don't think we have had 3 days in a row without rain since October. Fortunately the basement has been dry since the 1st.

The more I try the farther behind I get. I'm still hoping to get the truck rolling on it's own this summer so I can do '59 stuff next winter.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom