Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C1: Time for the windshield.....

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
I had heard a lot of horror stories about the windshields in the C1 so when I started getting after mine I was a little worried. I have to admit that after taking it off the car and now taking it apart, it really hasn't been difficult at all. Now putting it all back together might be a different story, but right now it looks pretty good.

sIMG_2427-vi.jpg

First I started putting the windshield down on the bench top with out a cloth and then I realized, that any addtional scratches that got put in it now, would be more that had to come out later...so down went the towel.
IMG_2440s-vi.jpg

First thing I did was to take the black rubber pieces off the ends, it is like a thin rubber gasket that covers the complete end for about 5 inches or so. Then it was time to get the black goop off the ends, used a scrapper and then rolled it with my fingers to get the big pieces off. Finally soaked a rag in acetone and used that to wipe off the remaining black goop.
IMG_2439s-vi.jpg

I also noticed that at the base of the two big bolts on the end, whoever had it before had applied some silicone sealant around the bolts, probably to make sure that water didn't get down in the car. After pulling the black rubber thingy off and cleaning the goop, two small screws (each end) were exposed.

In the photo below you can see the two holes on the tab (notice the tabs are not broken....thank you god!). Once the two little screws were out, I got my trusty hammer and started whacking on the end of the tab ever so gently....and low and behold the frame started to come apart. By now I am thinking this is too easy, there must be a catch.
IMG_2441s-vi.jpg

but no catch....I whacked both ends with a little gentle persuasion and before I knew it both ends were off!

There were some small screws to take out along the way, some of them were missing, and I think only one was in place but before I knew it, I had the window posts completely apart!
IMG_2443s-vi.jpg

IMG_2451s-vi.jpg

Needless to say, I am very happy that the "dreaded tabs" were not broke on my posts!

A trip to Pauls Chrome and these pieces will be as good as new!
IMG_2450s-vi.jpg

So all I had to do now was attack the other side of the windshield, the bottom trim moulding. I thought was this going to be tuff? Where was the difficult part at?
IMG_2453s-vi.jpg

So I started pulling the moulding off the bottom of the windshield. There was some more of that black goop here and there that was a pain and the moulding was kind of stuck tot he rubber bead around the windshield, but gentle and firm tugs and pulls here and there and off it came!

IMG_2452s-vi.jpg

Now I have to say I am sorry, as I was really moving now and picking up the camera and shooting photos while I was on a roll, just wasn't happening. But in the photo two above you can see that there is an inner track to the lower moulding and to get that apart I found a nice 1.5 inch piece of 1/16 thick steel I had in the shop to pry the length of the moulding and before I knew it, the thing was apart!

I think in all, it took less than 45 minutes, maybe even only 30 minutes to get it apart. I realized as I was taking it apart, that getting it back together will be more of a challenge, especially with new glass that I hope fits as good as the old, if not, then I can see the challenge growing by leaps and bounds. But for now I am enjoying my victory:beer .....more to come....stay tuned!

More photos on my web site that has grown to over 477 photos from the start to now.....
http://public.fotki.com/htmiata/1960_corvette/

regards, Herb

Does anyone know if there is a reason not to reuse the rubber piece that goes around the windshield on my new one? If it isn't ripped?

Thoughts or comments? What can I reuse and what shouldn't I reuse....

Herb

Herb

I used Paragon for allot of the parts on my 62 and when I was prepairing to do the windsheild I had contacted them explained what I was doinging and asked them to ship what I needed. I am not sure if it was a kit or not but I got everything I needed inclusing all new mounting hardware and those little inserts

I am a cheap guy but I did not want any problems with this so i got everything new

Good luck with it

Herb

I used Paragon for allot of the parts on my 62 and when I was prepairing to do the windsheild I had contacted them explained what I was doinging and asked them to ship what I needed. I am not sure if it was a kit or not but I got everything I needed inclusing all new mounting hardware and those little inserts

I am a cheap guy but I did not want any problems with this so i got everything new

Good luck with it
good suggestion!!!

I will ask them.....

If I ever take mine apart I'll need to replace the rubber seal. It's showing it's age. Nice looking posts though. Mine has never been off or wrecked so I'm confident that my tabs are in good shape too.

Wasn't there a thread on here or somewhere a while back about someone sending their posts to a chromer and not getting theirs back? I'm sure this wasn't pauls but the guy sent in non-broken tab posts and the ones he got back were repaired ones. He was fighting with the chromer over it. Be sure to take photos of anything that you send to any shop before it's sent.

Seems to me like the biggest problem in reassembling this thing is the new rubber being fatter than the old dried up one causing it to go together harder. Having never done one myself I can only guess about how much fun it is.

Tom

If I ever take mine apart I'll need to replace the rubber seal. It's showing it's age. Nice looking posts though. Mine has never been off or wrecked so I'm confident that my tabs are in good shape too.

Wasn't there a thread on here or somewhere a while back about someone sending their posts to a chromer and not getting theirs back? I'm sure this wasn't pauls but the guy sent in non-broken tab posts and the ones he got back were repaired ones. He was fighting with the chromer over it. Be sure to take photos of anything that you send to any shop before it's sent.

Seems to me like the biggest problem in reassembling this thing is the new rubber being fatter than the old dried up one causing it to go together harder. Having never done one myself I can only guess about how much fun it is.

Tom
this and the dash pad...I can hardle wait....UGH!!!!:confused :ugh :crazy

Tom

Hi Tom,

I think that happened to Larry(IH2LOSE).

Herb,

Nice work! Glad it came apart so easily for you. It will be tougher getting it back together though. I got a kit for mine and I don't remember it being too expensive.

Herb,

Nice work! Glad it came apart so easily for you. It will be tougher getting it back together though. I got a kit for mine and I don't remember it being too expensive.
I called Paragon today and ordered up everything I think I need.....they said stuff that wasnt mounted or used I would be able to return...so I bought a bunch of stuff......when I was done my credit card had melted down......

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom