Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C1 windshield advice

J60FI

Corvette
1960 Red on Red
I was cleaning my windshield and noticed that the drivers side of the glass has shifted down and there is a gap between the upper stainless and the top of the glasss.

What would cause this?

What is the best way to fix this so it doesn't slide again?

Thanks.

:beer

the windshield is captured in the trim. should not move. the conv top can pull the top rail some, even break the windshield if too tight. the windshield is the hardest part of the car to deal with in my opinion.

I was cleaning my windshield and noticed that the drivers side of the glass has shifted down and there is a gap between the upper stainless and the top of the glasss.

What would cause this?

What is the best way to fix this so it doesn't slide again?

Thanks.

Chances are that the glass hasn't shifted down, the upper portion of the frame has most likely shifted UP (actually pivoting the end posts) due to the post tabs being broken off. This is usually aggravated by the top being installed "bowstring tight" by an installer unfamiliar with C1 tops.

Chances are that the glass hasn't shifted down, the upper portion of the frame has most likely shifted UP (actually pivoting the end posts) due to the post tabs being broken off. This is usually aggravated by the top being installed "bowstring tight" by an installer unfamiliar with C1 tops.

John... I know the tabs were fixed by Corvette Central before they were rechromed and installed...

Appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this...

I will have to drop the top and see if everything moves back to "normal"

:bash

John... I know the tabs were fixed by Corvette Central before they were rechromed and installed...

Appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this...

I will have to drop the top and see if everything moves back to "normal"

:bash

The same thing happened to my 62 when the convertable top installer put my top on. The tightening of the top pulled the trim off the top of the windshield. We had to take the windshield off and apart to fix it. Check all adjustments on your top and make sure it is not super tight.

John

They didn't leave St. Louis "bowstring tight", but some top installers do them that way to avoid "comebacks" from customers who complain about the tiniest little wrinkle. Bad trade-off. :eyerole

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom