Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C1 windshield frame question...

Mac

Administrator
Corvette
1973 coupe L82 (gone as casualty of divorce)
A buddy of mine here in Vancouver has a line of a C1 and he's interested but worried about running into more trouble than he can easily handle. It's a 1960 fuelie 327 w. 4 speed which appears mostly complete BUT the windshield frame & glass are missing... as well as a host of interior trim pieces.

So the question is.... should having this frame being missing be a warning sign of rusty supports? I realize most parts are available on the aftermarket but how much trouble and expensive is the windshield frame? I'm guessing this means it's missing the stainless trim as well....

I haven't seen the car yet and I can't imagine this is a terminal problem but my buddy just finished a major resto project and he's not looking for another yet. He wants something he can drive sooner rather than later. Is there anything else I should be specifically looking for other than the obvious? I love C1s but I'm not aware of any specific issues to be cautious of on them.

Apparently the guy had 20+ Vettes at one point but he's sold off most of them in the past couple of years. He plans to keep a couple which have sentimental value. I thought my buddy was pulling my leg until he showed me a picture with 20+ Vettes of assorted years.

-Mac

As far as I know C1 windshield posts are not being reproduced. There is a complete windshield frame on ebay right now with a "buy it now" price of $2850. Lots of companies sell the glass.

If you are worried about "rusted supports", it is pretty simple to remove the kick panels and check them out.

Getting the "fuelie" to run properly may be expensive. You do know that a 327 is not an original '60 motor?

Charles

Mac,

Probably not. The windshield on a C1 just sits on top of fiberglass. and the structure underneath at the door pillars are not noted for rusting like on later Corvettes. The windshield pretty much just bolts to the body on a C1! The windshield is a fairly pricey item an a C1, and he should expect to pay at least $3000 for a nice one complete.

Regards, John McGraw

Getting the "fuelie" to run properly may be expensive. You do know that a 327 is not an original '60 motor?

Charles[/quote]

Right you are about the engine. The 283ci engine was used through 1961 with the 327 first arriving in 1962.

If the 327 was just a guess and the motor is original, then it is a 283 with either 250 or 290 HP. They offered two fuel injected engines in 1960.

I don't see any problem installing a windshield assembly other than the cost. He might try to piece one together also. I haven't looked for windshield parts so I'm not up to date on what the pieces are bringing.

Tom

Charles, my buddy was told it was the original engine and it's a 327. I told him not to hold his breath... even if it is original, it's not necessarily running and that could be a problem.

John, that was my concern... When/if I get an eye on this thing, we'll see.

rwpeders, I didn't realize the fuelie was available on so many engine options!

When/if I get a look at the thing, I'll write down some block/casting numbers and see what's up.
I thought almost every part of the old Vettes was being reproduced nowadays. The costs for replacement will have to be factored into the purchase. I doubt it'll be a deal breaker but it's a concern.

-Mac

Since the 327 wasn't introduced until 1962 this would be a very unique '60 Let's hope that the numbers show that it is the original engine and not a 327.

Since the windshield is missing you might also check to see if the car has a top. If it needs a soft/hard top, that is another $2500 for a complete soft top or as much as $5500 for a restored hard top. It could also be a "hard top only" car.

Charles

Hi Mac

Call Gary York over at Classic and Performance in Ladner.

He is exceptionally knowledgeable regarding anything Corvette.

604-940-9633

Cheers

J.

Thanks, Zapper! At this point, I still haven't seen the 60 and my buddy is still speculating... but I might call Gary anyway. I'm trying to get collector plates for my 73 and I might need a bit of help locating a part or three.

-Mac

Hi Mac

Get my contact info from Gary when you call him. I may be able to help you considerably with the collector plate issue.

Cheers

Sorry I dont know how to send you a private mesage, however if you send me one I can reply.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom