Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C2 - Driveshaft seems wimpy

tigernut

Pulled my driveshaft tonight to replace the rear muncie seal (I know, should have done it when the engine and transmission were out) and the driveshaft is very small in diameter, almost like my Miata's driveshaft.

Guess I was expecting something similar to my 68 Camaro's driveshaft.

I'm amazed these C2 driveshafts can take big block horsepower/torque.

I guess the larger diameter isn't required due to the short length of the driveshaft?

Doug

tigernut said:
Pulled my driveshaft tonight to replace the rear muncie seal (I know, should have done it when the engine and transmission were out) and the driveshaft is very small in diameter, almost like my Miata's driveshaft.

Guess I was expecting something similar to my 68 Camaro's driveshaft.

I'm amazed these C2 driveshafts can take big block horsepower/torque.

I guess the larger diameter isn't required due to the short length of the driveshaft?

Doug

In all my years of hard driving and racing, I never had a problem with mine. That was behind a 427/435 4-speed, and in front of various rear gears including 4.56:1.

I only had a newer, heavier design built when forced to by the change to a Richmond 5-speed.

Besides the grip of the tires I think our Half shafts are the weekest links. Johnz has a nice picture of some torn up shafts,Ihope he post's them.

The pictures he has of the half shafts STOPED me from trying a pair of slicks on my 66

tigernut said:

Doug

Is this a metaphore for something else?

74bigblock said:
Is this a metaphore for something else?

Hee, not really, but could be I guess.

After reading 67Heaven's comments, I guess size doesn't matter? ;LOL

I can't tell you why but I believe the required diameter of the tube size has something to do with NVH expectations.

Yeap, size does not matter unless you are getting traction.

er driveshaft size.... um, nevermind

Here's a pair of half-shafts that were caught just in time ('67 L-89, stock tires):

TwistedL89.JPG

And here's a pair that weren't caught in time (540 Merlin and slicks); extensive floorpan and chassis damage from the flailing pieces:

OZNVWWTQDGHPZSEESNWY-halfsh13.jpg

:beer

A larger diameter shaft also makes it hard to drop it between the seat belt anchor bolts. I had a large diameter shaft for a few years, and always had to remove the anchor nuts to get the driveshaft out. That's the reason I converted back to stock.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom