Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

C2 paint and Top Flight judging

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
Cars that are top flighted, what kind of paint do they have on them? Do they have base coat/clear coat or ? what kind of penalty does one incur for base coat/clear coat if that isn't the way to go? I am trying to get some direction on paint for my other '63 swc. With the economy down, I can get a fairly good deal on paint for the car, but I need to direct the shop on which way to go.....anyone?

ricks327

Corvette
1967 Goodwood Green Roadster
My 67 Goodwood green obtained Top Flight 2 years ago with BC/CC w/o the door jambs and inner hood ledge being dulled.
Rick
DSCN4099.jpg

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
My 67 Goodwood green obtained Top Flight 2 years ago with BC/CC w/o the door jambs and inner hood ledge being dulled.
Rick
DSCN4099.jpg
beautiful car:thumb

Corvette
2016 C7.R Z06 "ROSA" - black 'Vert w/yellow accent
first, hood and doors are closed completely - judges then determine PAINT COLOR first - once they deduce it is the correct tint, shade, etc. - they will then look at finish application

there is a "matrix" that is used, which is basically in FOUR quadrants

does the finish APPEAR to be typical of factory application? YES or NO?

If answer is YES - no deduction, of course it assumes there are no condition problems, either

then, second quadrant a minimum of 20% deduction could apply - does the finish appear to be UNDER or OVER restored - is there appearance of orange peal, etc. in the paint

third quadrant - judges determined the finish DOES NOT appear to be typical - they can now open the hood and door jambs and look for the obvious buildup that you will get from BC/CC, unless you do a good job of "toning it down" - minimum 50% deduction, but up to 90% deduction - you need some points or complete deduction for originality and condition!

fourth quadrant - 100% deduction

hope this helps

Corvette
2016 C7.R Z06 "ROSA" - black 'Vert w/yellow accent
thanks for posting John - don't have scanner, otherwise I would have done it - tried to be as descriptive as I could be

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Top Bottom